Land of the Rising Sun

My name is Kosuke I'm 16 and I am the crown princess of the Land of the Rising Sun. I am next in line for the throne and ever since I could remember my parents have arranged for me to be married. In my land it does not matter what your background is or how much money you have, the only thing that ranks you in society is your magic. My father was not a wealthy man but he was a strong mage and for that he won the hand of my mother; she was the crown princess at the time. Now it is my time to take the hand of a man and become the next empress. This has never been something I looked forward to. But, for the sake of my country I will fulfill my duty and marry a powerful mage in order to insure the safety of my people.

"Kosuke?" My mother asked as she walked into my room.

"Yes, mother I know it's time for the ceremonies to commence!" I stood from my vanity straightening out my clothes. "Are you sure I have to wear this? It's. . . well, it's not me."

"Sweetheart", she pulled me into her arms. "You know I wore this very outfit at my ceremonial games. And that is where I chose your father to become the next emperor of this land."

"I know, but what if I'm not as lucky as you. I mean you and dad are completely in love. What if who I choose isn't someone I love? Why should I give up love just to be the empress?"

"Kosuke! Watch your tongue! The man you choose will be a powerful mage and he will have a noble heart."

Before I could object I was being pushed out of my room and down the hall. When I looked up I saw my father smiling down at me. I tried to give smile back but he could always tell what I was feeling and he hugged my reassuringly. When I stepped out onto the balcony I could hear the roar of excitement and applause from the colosseum. I followed my parents to the edge of the balcony. The cheering calmed when the crowd turned toward my father.

He gestured toward the crowd as he spoke, "On this glorious day in history, my daughter will choose the next emperor of our land. These young men are here to fight for her hand. To you, young men, I wish you luck. Let the ceremonies begin!"

The colosseum erupted in cheers and applause. I looked down at all of the men some my age others much older. But one man in particular caught my eye, he had tanned skin and black hair. He was wearing fishing attire and to be honest he looked like he didn't want to be here. At least that made two of us.

As the ceremonies began I couldn't help but keep looking at that fisherman. I could tell he was an incredibly powerful mage, but he was under performing in all of the competitions. When the days events concluded in the colosseum I watched the people file out to go enjoy the market. I stood to take my leave but my father quickly grabbed my arm and drug me into the castle corridor.

He looked down at me with excited eyes, "So are any of those strapping young men standing out to you? I really think that contestant number 39 was. . ."

My thoughts drifted off as he droned on about his favorites. I knew that I wanted to talk to that fisherman but that meant sneaking out of the castle. After dinner I excused myself to my room and changed into something more appropriate for blending in with the towns people. After, I crept out to the balcony and climbed down the vine lattice. Once in the courtyard I had to stick in the shadows to avoid being seen by the royal guards. I made it past the hedges and climbed the stone wall separating us from the town.

Jumping off the wall I landed on fishing nets piled up against the wall. Adjusting my clothes I looked to see the masses of people moving through the festive streets. I pulled the hood on my cloak over my head to help conceal my identity.

"Just how am I supposed to find this mystery man? And without anyone discovering who I am in the process."

I walked out of the small alley into the crowds and got swept off in the current of people heading toward the beach. Once everyone slowed down enough for me to break out of the crowd I stood amazed at what I saw before my eyes. Thousands of people sitting on the beach watching mages put of a fireworks show. Children were running around laughing and there was music being played. Every year I remember sitting with my mother at the castle watching the beautiful colors light up the sky. I never would have imagined all of these people coming together to celebrate the festival this way.

To my left I saw a small peak jutting out from the mountain and separating the beach. I wandered over and climbed up to get a better look of the vast sea of people before me. When I reached the top I heard noises, it almost sounded like grunting. Turning I noticed someone getting ready to go night fishing by them-self. I was drawn to this person, who would be working at this hour during a festival. Then I noticed two other people one was holding a lantern the other was holding what looked like a food basket. Climbing down the peak I approached the group of people on the dock only to recognize my mystery man as the one who was about to go fishing.

"Hey! What are you doing you have the festival to compete in in the morning!" I marched over to the group of people to notice my mystery man was with an older woman and an older man. My mystery man was staring at me with eyes that pierced my soul. The woman looked at me shocked and the man continued to untie the ropes holding the boat on the dock.

He looked up at me with sad eyes, "I can no longer go fishing so my grandson has to go out in order to keep food on our table. These festivals take him away from his work during the day so for the past few nights he's been night fishing." I took a step back shocked at the news I heard. The mystery man wasn't holding back on purpose he's been exhausted from working long nights to provide for his family. Reaching into my pocket I pulled out a bag of gold and silver pieces, "I'm so sorry for intruding. Here please take this; it's the least I can do so your grandson can truly show what he is capable of." Handing the bag to the woman I quickly turned away and took off so they could not reject my offer.

Before I made it off the dock mystery man caught my hand and turned me around, "Thank you. I have been working to support my grandparents for awhile. The only reason I even joined the games was for them. I want to become the emperor and give them the life they deserve along with everyone else who struggle to get by. I looked into his now soft eyes, "You're welcome. . . " He interrupted me, "Yami, my name is Yami." I looked away blushing, "Well, Yami, hopefully I will see you tomorrow at the festival." With that I headed back towards the festival.

After my run in with my mystery man, Yami, I decided I had enough of an adventure for one night and headed back to the castle. I made it back inside the castle walls and I was climbing up the vine lattice when I heard someone clear their throat. Looking up I saw mother looking down at me with a stern face.

"So this is what the crown princess is up to only three days until she is to make the biggest decision of her life!" Mother scolded.

"I'm sorry I just wanted to be a regular girl before I become the most powerful woman in all of the land." I stepped off the balcony and into my room. Removing my commoner clothes.

"Honey, I know the stress you're feeling and I promise it will be over soon. Not long ago I was experiencing what you are experiencing right now. I just dealt with it in a different way which didn't include sneaking off in the night." She wrapped her arms around me embracing me.

"I'm afraid if I make the wrong decision the entire country will fall and I will be the one to blame" I cried burying my face in my hands.

Mother shushed me holding me tight, "I know for a fact that your father and I raised you to make the right decision for our country." She stood up and walked towards the door. "So, its that fisherman isn't it? You've always been drawn to the quiet mysterious type." She winked at me before closing my rooms door. I looked down with a flushed face, what is it about Yami that drew me to him. I rolled over in bed and watched the fireworks in the distance before I fell asleep thinking about the mysterious Yami.