The Day the World Ended

I sat on the cold wet floor bringing my knees to my chest trying to get any sleep. My clothes were soaked and caked with dirt. It had been 36 hours since the fighting began and the enemy has made strong advances. We have lost many men and most of the town, only the north wing of the castle remained.

We had lost more than half of everyone who was in the castle when the first aerial attack hit. Now they happen every fifteen minutes. My parents and council were apart of those lives lost. The only safe place to go was the bunker between the castle and Colosseum.

Hearing footsteps coming from the southeast set me on high alert and I put up a magical barrier around us survivors. I saw a small group of our soldiers and dropped the barrier falling to the ground from exhaustion.

Mitsunari ran to me holding me in his arms. He too looked exhausted, "Come on Kosuke, get up. We need your help." He spoke as gently as he could but it still sounded hoarse.

"I thought I wasn't allowed to fight?" I looked up at Mitsunari I could tell he was fighting something in his mind.

"We have a stronghold on the eastern coast and I believe we might be able to turn the tides if we can secure the coast." Mitsunari lifted me up off the ground and we began heading towards the entrance.

"Who will stay and protect the women and children?" I asked Mitsunari.

He pointed at to of his men and signaled for them to stay with the women and children. They nodded their heads and took post. As we walked out of the bunker and into the Colosseum; I saw the most horrific thing, an aerial attack.

I ran toward the bunker but Mitsunari quickly tackled me to the ground. Holding my hand out I tried to form a barrier but I had nothing left. I watched screaming as the bunker was destroyed.

Mitsunari tried to shield me from the flying debris but rock and sand cut my face and a large support beam shot out snapping my left leg. Mitsunari slowly got off of me coughing as we inhaled the dust.

Slowly I crawled toward the rubble and I took the hand of a child who tried to escape. When the dust had finally settled I saw the true devastation of my kingdom. Almost everything had been destroyed.

As I laid on the ground I heard Mitsunari screaming at his men to fall back. He picked me up and began to run to the back of the Colosseum.

We headed down the path that lead to the east coastline. I held onto Mitsunari for my life. I heard the attacks getting closer and I expected to see our remaining stronghold. But when we got to the coast there was nothing but a massacre.

I looked up at Mitsuanri confused but he just ran determination on his face. As he ran I saw a small boat in the distance and my body went cold. I felt the blood drain from my face. I reached up to touch Mitsunari's face.

He looked down at me confused until he saw the realization in my eyes. Ot was like everything stood still for that split second. His eyes were no longer cold but warm and he actually smiled like he had somehow won.

He slowed down eventually stopping and set me on the ground. I looked up at him and he gently caressed my face wiping away my tears with his thumb.

"Ryu! Now!" He screamed.

Before I knew what was happening I felt my spirit being ripped from my chest as Ryu appeared.

I stood the best that I could looking at the lifeless bodies that surrounded me. I fell down feeling defeated and knowing what happens next. Shaking my head I cried, "No! No, this can't be the way it ends! Not again!"

Mitsunari picked me up and began pulling me to the ship. I looked back as Ryu untied it and got everything ready to go.

"Kosuke, you need to leave now!" Mitsuanri screamed.

I couldn't move or feel my body all I could do was look at my kingdom one last time. I turned my head to the castle and saw its crumbled ruins. Mitsunari grabbed me and threw me onto the boat as soldiers were approaching us from down the bloody shore.

"Get her out of here now! We will hold them off!" Mitsunari yelled at Ryu.

I couldn't tear my eyes away from Mitsunari as we left even though I knew what was going to happen. I tried to get up and help but my body betrayed me and sat still. Again I watched as the man that saved my life was slain by a beast.

"Mitsunari. . . " I mumbled as my body fell numb.

I laid flat on the deck of the boat as Ryu sailed us away. As my adrenaline began to where off I could feel the excruciating pain from my leg. But nothing could compare to the despair I felt.

I looked up into the heavens as the stars began to appear. What is this some kind of sick joke? How could tonight be so beautiful?

Before I knew what was happening Ryu was running to me. Confused I looked up to see another aerial attack coming straight for our boat. Ryu grabbed me by the arms and threw me into the ocean.

I shut my eyes as my body crashed against the waves and when I looked up I saw a bright flash of light as the ship scattered into a million pieces. But, Ryu was no where to be seen.

I tried to swim to the surface but my body kept sinking. The poppy crown on my head now floated at the surface each poppy being washed away.

My eyes became heavy and my lungs began to burn for oxygen. Every cut on my body stung and the further down I sank the more pressure was put on my leg.

I inhaled a large amount of water and felt myself fade into unconsciousness. Everything around me was black but I could still hear the screams of women and children.

I screamed back,"I'm sorry I couldn't protect you! I tried! I'm sorry!"

But the more I screamed, the louder their screams became. Then I heard his voice, Mitsunari. "Are you ok? Hey come on, you can't give up that easy."

My eyes sprung open when it felt like a donkey kick to my chest. I turned to my side coughing and vomiting salt water. When I looked up I was surrounded by people.

"So, you must be our special visitor!" An older man stated as he approached. I looked at him confused. But he continued anyways, "I honestly can't remember the last time someone broke through our barrier, not to mention while unconscious."

"Where am I?" I whispered between breaths.

"Why dear, you are in the Underwater Temple!" He exclaimed as I passed out once more.

............

So I don't normally do this but after a chapter like that I want to know where everyone is at? Was that to predictable? Unpredictable? I thought this was about Yami? What happened to Ryu? I came here for Yami but Mitsunari won my heart? Let me hear everything you have to say! And thank you for reading my story you beautiful people!