"Mockingbird"

Niall almost didn't notice his little gift, sitting beside the scale. Bending down to pick it up, the blonde realized it was a pack of two chocolate chip cookies. Taped to the back was a cardboard mockingbird, which Niall tore off. On the back were words written in sharpie, printed cleanly. 

Niall, just a little treat for you. Please eat at least one? 

     The blue eyed boy's stomach gurgled, but the thought of having the cookies in his mouth made him want to throw up. His eyes scanned over the writing again, puzzled that he didn't recognize the writing. Sighing, Niall stepped onto the scale, waiting for it to tell him how fat he was. 121 pound. Tears welled in Niall's eyes as he stumbled to the toilet, throwing the lid open and emptying what little he had left in his stomach. 

     He curled up right there by the toilet, bawling his eyes out. He wrapped his arms around himself, burying his mouth in the oversized sweater he was wearing. It was Zayn's, Niall's boyfriend. Zayn had allowed Niall to keep it after they had gone to a carnival one cold day. Niall had been shivering, and Zayn had given it up in order to keep the blonde warm. 

     Lying there on the ground, Niall could imagine Zayn bursting into the room, falling to Niall's side at once. "Hush, babe, it's alright," Zayn would whisper as he took Niall into his arms, rocking him back and forth slowly. "I've got you. Nothing is ever going to happen to you when you're in my arms. I promise." 

    The thought of Zayn not even knowing about Niall's depression only made him cry harder. Zayn would hate him when he found out. 

~~

    Niall had ended up throwing the cookies away. He hadn't even opened them. He did, however, keep the mockingbird, and he placed in his hoddie's large pocket. As he sat on his doorstep in the cool air, his fingers fiddled with the cardboard object as he waited for Zayn to come. None of his neighbors were out, but Niall was glad for that. They would strike up a conversation with him, and Niall was bound to let something slip. 

    Niall bit his lip as he tucked his arms tighter around his slim body. He was chilled to the bone, but he forced himself not to shake. After a few more minutes, Zayn's car pulled up, and Niall jumped to his feet immediately. "Hey, babe," Zayn greeted as Niall hoped into the passenger seat. Zayn leaned over and pecked Niall's cold cheek, frowning. "Niall? How long have you been sitting there?" 

     Niall shrugged, his eyes not meeting Zayn's. Sighing, Zayn started to drive off, his hand reaching out to grab Niall's. Zayn had fallen in love with Niall months ago when he had accidentally backed into the blonde one day when he was leaving the lunchroom. Niall's plate of food had spilled onto his shirt, and he looked about ready to cry. 

     Zayn had apologized quickly, even offering to pay for some more food and a new shirt. Niall had accepted money for the food, but not for a shirt. Zayn had left shortly after paying, but he thought about the blue eyed boy all day. Eventually he had come around to see Niall at lunch, about three days later. The two had clicked quickly, and it wasn't long before Zayn asked him out. 

     The raven haired lad had never really minded that Niall was quiet and liked to keep to himself a lot, but now it irritated him. He just wanted to help his boyfriend, but he couldn't do that if Niall wouldn't let him in. Niall's eyes glanced quickly up at his lover before he let his eyes rest on their entwined hands. 

     "Z-Zayn?" Niall whispered, biting his lip as he looked up. Zayn spared a glance at the boy before they were back at the road. "Y-You'll love me no m-matter what, r-right?" 

     "Of course I would, Niall," Zayn reassured, bringing Niall's hand to his lips and placing a soft kiss to the pale skin there. "You're my world, Ni. I love you so much." Niall's cheeks heated up as Zayn lowered their hands, still holding firmly to Niall's.