Chapter 31

Valentine's Day.

That is what today is. Wakatoshi hated this holiday. Non stop he would have girls come up to him and offer their chocolates and feelings to him. He thought this year would be different because of Yukina, but because of the breakup, the girls were coming into full force a hundred fold. It got so bad to the point where he asked Yumiko to help keep them at bay. Strangely though, the girl accepted his cry for help. Well, she wouldn't let it down and even made fun of him about it the whole day.

Ever since the break up, Wakatoshi had been slightly depressed. He didn't want it to affect his ability in playing with volleyball since he needs to secure a spot in the national team after graduation. But he notice the pity gazes he's receive from time to time from his teammates during lunch time.

Instead of sitting in his usual spot, he would switch it up and sometimes would sit with his back facing Yukina and her friends. This was very obvious the boys that he is hurting from the break up and tried to come up with stupid things to discuss. Sometimes he would sit at his usual spot if the girls didn't sit four tables away. But then he would gaze at that spot sadly as he was deep in thought and wouldn't touch his food for a while. Reon would oftentimes remind him to eat before lunch was over.

The bell rang indicating that it was the end of the day. Although most of the third years had retired from volleyball, Wakatoshi still goes to practice. He was slowly making his way to the gymnasium until a petite brunette made him stop him is tracks.

His eyes widened as the girl was standing in front of the gymnasium with her hands folding on top of each other. In her hands, there was a tiny box. He could feel his heart pumping a thousand times faster as he was inching closer to her.

He was hoping that perhaps she was there for him. But perhaps not. Why would any girl be waiting for the ex? From his past observations, Yukina never talked to any of her ex boyfriends after they broke up. So he's no different.

He was lost in thoughts as he was walking by the girl towards the gymnasium.

"Wait, Wakatoshi!"

He froze mid step. His heart dropped. He was afraid of turning around thinking he probably misheard her calling for his name.

"Could you at least look at me, Wakatoshi?" There was a plea in her voice.

Slowly turning around, he lifted his head to look into the clear blue eyes he always enjoyed seeing. A small smile formed on her lips as she held out the box in front of her. Wakatoshi looked at it curiously. It was a box of chocolates.

"Chocolates?"
"Yeah, for Valentine's Day, silly." Yukina chuckled softly. His heart warmed to her laughter. He missed how the wrinkles form around her eyes as she laughed. He missed the smiles she would give when she's excited. He missed her soft touch. Her caring nature. He just misses her. And he frowned. He wanted to keep her forever and this is how it turned out. Why would someone as amazing as her give chocolates to her ex boyfriend? This never happened before.
"Why?"
Yukina smiled meekly. "Just because we broke up, doesn't mean I'll stop caring about you." Her gaze shifted to the ground. "I can just take it back home, I guess."

As Yukina was regretting her choice, Wakatoshi swiftly took the box away from her. Widening her eyes, she looked up to see the same smile that she saw for a few months now. A smile from him is so rare that whenever he did, she would return it with one of her own.