Chapter Seven 💫

(Credit to Artist. Also, that's EXACTLY how I imagine Saya and the kitten.)

I hated to admit it, but I was growing used to waking up in random places. When I woke up in some random cot, I wasn't that surprised.

The room was made of cheap wicker. I found the kitten at the foot of my bed, sleeping soundly.

There were folded clothes on a dresser, and I put them on. They were civilian clothes. An oversized plain red shirt, and black ripped jeans. I cut off the excess shirt, making it look like an oversized crop top. However, there was nothing I could do about the fact that it was hanging off of one shoulder. At least the jeans didn't give me trouble, they fit perfectly.

I walked slowly and softly down the stairs, not knowing what to expect. I smelled food.

My team was eating with Tazuna, and by my guess, Tazuna's daughter.

I had missed a lot, then.

"Oh, Saya, it's been a few days! Kakashi sensei said you passed out from chakra depletion, and your knee was dislocated. Don't worry, he fixed it. I thought you had died!" Naruto said through a mouthful of who knows what's.

"Thanks, Naru." I grabbed a thin waffle and started to scarf it down. I was really hungry. It was a tiny bit unsettling being in a place that I didn't know, but no genjutsu was casted, I made sure of that.

"Speaking of missing things, you missed my little chakra lesson. You can work on it while we defend Tazuna." Kakashi said, and I nodded.

"Saya! This is my daughter, Tsunami." Tazuna gestured to the thin woman beside him, and I nodded in greeting.

"Nice to meet you, miss. By the way, the food is delicious."

She smiled. "I'm sure that It's not much of what you're used to, but thank you."

I smiled politely. "You're right. It's way better than what I'm used to."

A kid came storming on, and pointed an accusing finger at me. "Instead of lying to be polite, you should be on your knees, thanking her! I bet you and your whole family get more than enough food every meal time, while we have to slave away for it! You have no idea how lucky you are!" Kakashi and Sasuke both inhaled sharply, knowing exactly the kind of ironic thing going on.

I looked down.

"I'm lucky?"

I could tell my voice was quiet, because even though I was whispering to myself, the whole room was silent with tension.

"Look, kid. I'm anything but lucky. My family that you had absolutely no right to talk about is either dead or missing. Either way, they're gone. Also, I don't lie. I barely got by on food when I was younger, did you know that? I didn't have a mother to make me things. And I never will. Before you ever say anything as rude or hurtful like that again, close your mouth and think. You may have an excuse because you look like you're still in diapers, but trust me, I'm not somebody that brushes ignorant comments like that off." I got up from the table sharply.

"Thank you for your hospitality, Miss Tsunami, but I'd rather sleep on the street." I said, and walked out.

The streets were empty, and litter blew across the unpaved paths. Noise distracted me from the barren landscape, and I followed it to an overcrowded alleyway. Boxes, what I assumed were people's homes, littered the sides.

It was much different than the road, and I walked quite comfortably through the streets. I stuffed my hands into my jean pockets. These people reminded me of my family, hungry but kind.

A slight touch to my back pocket made my high guard instincts act up and I grabbed the arm of the stupid person to try and pickpocket me.

I spun them from their arm and turned them so that their neck was facing me and held a kunai without thinking. A small kid, maybe six years old, stood terrified, at the mercy of my weapon.

"S-Sorry miss!" The boy stuttered, and he looked away from my gaze.

I'm not normally nice, but I didn't let go of his hand. I opened my mouth to speak, and he winced away like I was going to start lecturing him. Instead, I said something in the most gentle tone I could. "Go get your family, meet me back here. Please don't steal." I looked down, and muttered the last part. "I know from personal experience, it only brings more pain."

He scampered off, so I walked up to a pathetic fruit stand.

" 'much for a watermelon?"

"300 ryo." The old woman behind the ancient table said, and I tried my best from letting my jaw hit the floor. That was really cheap.

"I'll take five." I handed her the money, and she couldn't hide the shock on her face. I just grinned and summoned shadow clones to carry them.

I heard people whidpering, "She's a ninja?"

"Why is she here? We can't afford ninja."

No, they really couldn't, and that wasn't okay. I'd have to drop the price of my solo missions.

"Miss! My family's here!" The scrawny kid tugged on my shirt and I turned around to see an old man carrying a three year old toddler. That was it? Where were his parents? This poor kid..

My shadow clone stuffed a watermelon in his arms, and he could barely lift it. "T-Thank you!"

He presented the watermelon to who I presumed was his grandfather, who only turned to me. "Your parents raised you right, little leaf ninja."

I bit back telling him I didn't have any, then distributed the rest of the watermelons to the greatful families.

I was giving the last one away when Saskue 'hned', letting me know he was there.

"Good to see you too Uchiha."

"Kakashi sent us to look for you. Why did you run off like that?"

"I meant what I said. People here are nicer." I said, pointing to a particularly greatful kid who was hugging my leg in gratitude. Sasuke barely glanced down, before a little girl grabbed his arm.

"Are you here to help us too? You leaf ninja are so kind."

I glanced up at him and smiled. He looked torn.

Sasuke would probably rather die than admit it, but I swear I could see his heart melt a little when he stared into the little girl's eyes.

"Five minutes."