A New Challenge

Brantley's POV

I pulled into the back parking lot of the Georgia Theatre chuckling at Scarlett checking her lipstick in the mirror. To say the woman was in work mode was an understatement. Skin tight jeans that pulled a whistle out of me when she walked downstairs and a smirk from her when she stated they were maternity jeans. A low-cut black sweater that dipped showing me a teasing glimpse of cleavage I had plans on inspecting later. A pair of heeled black boots that I had frowned at until she grinned at me. I slid out of the truck holding a hand out for her.

Lacing our fingers together we walked to the back door. Scarlett smiled giving her name as the bouncer handed over a couple of passes. I followed her in listening to her ask about the table out of the way she had called about. I was thankful for that because the sooner I could get her into the habit of staying off her feet the better. The crowd was getting amped up as we sat down. I moved my chair closer to Scarlett's draping my arm around her shoulders. I was about to ask her who we were here to see when the lights dropped, and the music started.

I saw the twinkle in Scarlett's eye as I watched the tiny, brunette bounce onto the stage. Spitfire was the first word that came to mind as she threw her head back belting out the song.

"Holy shit," I muttered shaking my head with a grin of appreciation. Scarlett grinned at me.

"I know right," she said leaning closer to me so I could hear her. "Scott said she was a cross between Carrie and Miranda. Heaven help me he was right. Seems she and her previous manager did not get along at all. Miss Naomi Jackson seems to be a bit of a wildcard."

"Well you specialize in those don't you baby," I said with a chuckle kissing her cheek. She stuck her tongue out at me before settling into my side. As I watched Naomi on stage I saw exactly why Scott told Scarlett about her. If she needed a manager, Scar would be a perfect fit. The last song played and Scarlett tugged me behind her down the stairs. I saw a group of college age girls do a double take making me pull my hat a little lower over my eyes as I followed Scar. Might have been a good idea to bring PJ with us just in case. She stopped once we reached the backstage area. I smiled softly to myself as it brought back memories.

"Be right back," Scarlett standing on her tip toes to kiss my cheek with a sigh pointing at a door. "Down side to be pregnant."

I nodded walking further into the room looking at the posters on the walls. I pulled my cigarettes out of my pocket taking a quick advantage to smoke one. I lit up taking a drag lost in my thoughts when a set of jet black nails trailed up my arm making me stiffen as they walked up my chest tugging on the end of my beard. All I could think was this woman had some balls. Naomi shook her brunette locks away from her face pursing her ruby red lips at me holding up a cigarette.

"Got a light big boy?" she drawled huskily stepping closer to me. I went to take a step back. I couldn't help but chuckle at the way her eyes gleamed with the haze of whiskey. Yes, someone had been partaking before they got on stage. There was a story there, I could tell.

"I don't think you are grown up enough to run with me sweetheart," I chuckled gripping her wrist gently and letting it go. I took a drag passing her my lighter watching her light up. Naomi blew out a puff of smoke giving me a smirk.

"Oh I could hang handsome," she drawled letting her eyes trail over my body making me more than a little uncomfortable considering my pregnant, hormonal, and temper happy girlfriend was not far away. I wasn't really in the mood to make a trip downtown to bail Scarlett out tonight. "What do you say we get out of here? Know you're way around here don't you?"

"Born and raised twenty minutes from here," I said. Naomi stepped closer pushing up on her tip toes biting her bottom lip.

"Wanna show me around?" she purred licking her lips. I was about to set her straight when Naomi let out a loud yelp cussing and hissing like a cat. I glanced over with a smirk seeing Scarlett twisting her ear with a snarl on her pink lips. While both women were of small stature, Naomi's high heels put her a little taller than Scarlett, who had quickly pulled her down to her level. "WHAT THE FUCK? WHO THE HELL ARE YOU CRAZY LADY!"

"Scarlett Hart," Scarlett growled giving Naomi another shake as her eyes widened to an "oh shit" look. "Word has it you need a new manager. I am all for taking you on. Here's your first rule darlin, lay another hand on BG here and you will be black balled in Nashville so fast sweetheart your head will spin. Understand me?"

"Yes mam," Naomi gasped making a grin spread across Scarlett's lips as she let her go. Naomi rubbed her ear taking a long drag of her cigarette eyeing Scarlett up and down. All I could think was darling do you really want to dance because you will lose. I knew from experience. Scarlett lifted her chin in challenge stepping closer to me. Nodding her head, Naomi gave her a true smile. "I think I like you."

"Well now," Scarlett laughed leaning into my side. "I think I like you to. Remind me a lot of somebody."

"Yea," I said with a chuckle making them both turn to look at me. I leaned down brushing a kiss on the top of Scarlett's head. "You. She is another you."

"Lord help me," she sighed nodding her head. She turned her attention to Naomi. "You have got talent in droves honey. I want the challenge I know its going to be to work with you. You have the label that will back you now all you need is a manager to get you there. You listen to me, take my advice and trust I will do what needs to be done for you. And mark my words, you toss a whiskey bottle at my head like you did your last manager, pregnant or not sister I will take your little sassy ass down."

"She always this bossy?" Naomi asked me with a wry grin making me laugh.

"No," I snickered earning a glare from my girlfriend. "She's worse. But honey if she can put up with me and Miranda, then you will be a welcome addition."

"Well then," Naomi said with a smile. "I think I would like to be your new challenge."