The Ones That Need Me Got Me

Brantley's POV

Leaning down to press a soft kiss to Karaline's forehead, I handed her over to the nurse to let them finish checking her out. Scarlett was in recovery for a little bit longer. Feeling my heart twinge seeing her be taken away, I sat down heavily in the chair closest to me as I studied the group around me. Kolby was frantically sending out the photos he had taken. I looked up seeing Brittany's knees buckle along with the tears in her eyes. Miranda was hurriedly wiping at her face giving me a smile.

Lauren had her head buried in Thomas's shoulder hers shaking with quiet sobs. We had known this would be a reaction when we had settled on a name. Even though she hadn't known her, Naomi was biting her bottom lip to stem off the tears in her green eyes. I knew it would hit the girls hard. Especially now that Lauren and Britt had stepped in running the Brett Boyer Foundation since it had been Caroline's brainchild.

"Something tells me that little angel is gonna live up to her name BG," Jason said with a quiet chuckle hugging his wife.

"I am sure someone is smiling wide," I sighed running a hand over my face. I pushed up from the chair. "I need to get back there. Scarlett should be out of recovery by now." I looked at the girls. "I'll be sure to come get you ladies as soon as you can see her."

"Please," Naomi said quietly. "Been worried." I walked over pulling the little spit fire into a hug.

"Thank you for taking care of her," I murmured kissing her cheek. I gave her a wink stepping back to head back to the room. I noticed Jason pulling his phone out of his pocket before I left out.

Luke's POV

Tightening my fist around the half empty whiskey bottle in my hand, I stared out at the rising sun taking another swig. Sleep. I just desperately wanted to sleep but I couldn't crawl into that bed upstairs alone. Blacked out drunk was about the only way I could manage that. I thought about the heated words Brantley and I had exchanged tonight resulting in him almost punching me. I had already been spoiling for a fight from the argument Jason and I'd had earlier. Both of them telling me I had a problem.

That I needed to pull my head out of my ass to realize whether I liked it or not I was still the one here. Grumbling I had friends and family that needed me. My phone vibrated on the table beside me with a new text notification. Seeing it was Jason, I almost didn't look but something pulled me to. Opening it up I felt a smile tugging at my lips warming my aching heart seeing Brantley standing there holding a pink bundle in his arms. If circumstances had been different I would have been there. I just couldn't though.

I remembered how excited Caroline had been planning all kinds of girlie things once Scarlett found out they were having a girl. Then I read the message along with the photo and I broke down with tears streaming down my face. I had no doubt that little princess had the perfect guardian angel. I just wished she was here to hold her herself. I thought about the gift hidden upstairs in the back of our closet that I needed to figure out how to get it to Scarlett.

Scarlett's POV

Feeling the bed dip pulled me from the edges of sleep as I cracked an eye open. We had been home from the hospital for two weeks. I was taking advantage of napping while Kara did. Being parents was an adjustment for sure. I did as much as anyone would let me. Mom had gone back to, I think she said Thailand. Would have thought her new granddaughter would have been enough to keep her gypsy soul here but nope. Mama Becky had left going back home yesterday. We were supposed to head to Georgia ourselves in a couple of days.

Life the last few weeks had been interesting which was putting it mildly. I had woken up back in my hospital room early that morning finding Brantley with his head near my hip sleeping soundly in the chair by my bed. Also had discovered my engagement ring back on my finger which I was gruffly warned as he woke up that I would pay hell on sitting down if it came off my finger again. An arm loosely wrapped around me prompting me to roll over. A soft kiss brushed on my forehead while I snuggled closer just wanting to stay like this.

"Didn't mean to wake you up baby," Brantley murmured. I inhaled a deep breath of his cologne smiling against this t-shirt. "Had come to check on you before I left."

"It's fine," I smiled lifting my head. "Princess will be up soon. Hopefully we will have a pretty easy night since it will just be the two of us. I think Lauren and the girls are coming by tomorrow."

"Yea...." Brantley drawled giving me a sheepish look. I heard footsteps then the bedroom door open. A grinning Naomi propped her shoulder against the door frame. I looked at Brantley with a sigh. He leaned down kissing me. I whimpered when he pulled away. I had done without those for long enough when I was a stubborn idiot. I could hear Kara cry through the monitor. Naomi disappeared down the hall no doubt glad to not have any competition for baby snuggles at the moment.

I slowly sat up willing my bottom lip not to tremble. This was the first time he would be gone since Kara had been born. Lack of sleep and hormones had to be the reason for me almost crying. Brantley gently slid me into his lap wrapping his arms around me as I sniffled. "It is only for a few days baby then I have a few weeks off. Why I called Naomi to come hang out. She can at least threaten you enough to take it easy."

"Thank you," I whispered pushing my hair away from my face. He gave me a curious look as a smile twitched at his lips. "What?"

"You are tired if you aren't arguing with me about it baby," he chuckled. I stuck my tongue out at him climbing off his lap. A knock sounded at the door. Bending down to kiss me one more time Brantley headed out the door. "I'll get it."

I walked down the hall to Kara's room smiling at the sight when I walked in. Naomi was changing her into one of the bazillion pink outfits she had just to drive her daddy crazy. Looking up to see me, she walked over passing my daughter to me after kissing Kara's cheek. I cradled her close basking in the baby smell. I didn't think I could love a tiny person so much, but she was our whole world.

"I'll go fix her a bottle while you tell BG bye," Naomi told me squeezing my shoulder before disappearing. I headed down the hall looking for B. I gasped when I found him by the front door talking to someone in the foyer. My eyes watered with tears covering my mouth with my free hand.

"Luke," I said in a trembling voice. Shoving his hands in his jeans pockets, Luke stepped around Brantley giving me a soft smile. I stepped closer my heart breaking at the sorrow in his eyes. I missed that bright smile. He leaned down kissing my cheek before pulling the blanket back a little looking at Kara. The little stinker pursed her lips at him when he stroked a finger over hers. Going to be all sass let me tell you. What worried me was the faint smell of whiskey on him.

"She's beautiful Scar," Luke said softly. He pointed over at the bag in Brantley's hand. "I can't stay long. Carter is outside waiting to drive us to meet the bus. I wanted to drop that off. It's been in the closet. She'd actually picked it up earlier that day." Luke cleared his throat then hugged me slightly before hurrying to the door with a nod to Brantley. Footsteps made him stop as Naomi walked up handing me the bottle for Kara. She stiffened seeing him after hearing the argument he and I'd had a while back on the phone. I saw Luke's eyes travel over her then he ducked out the door disappearing.

Brantley sighed shaking his head in frustration. I walked into the living room sitting on the couch starting to feed Kara. Brantley sat down beside me. I nodded at the bag for him to open it. Couldn't blame the man for looking at it like a ticking timebomb. It is no telling what Caroline had come up with. I held back the tears as he moved the black and white polka dot tissue paper out of the way. I wasn't shocked when he pulled out a wide black jar with a cork lid. Inscribed on it in bright pink letters were the words DADDY's BAIL MONEY. Naomi let out a snort when Brantley handed it to her with a chuckle.

"That woman knew you,'' she laughed. I nodded in agreement. Brantley then pulled out a stack of onesies in a variety of sizes. They were different colors all with something different on them. One said BEWARE....MY UNCLES WILL SHOOT YOU, a few with nods towards Brantley, one made to look like one of Miranda's tour t-shirts, and the last one said MY AUNT ROCKS. That was the one I lost it in tears on. Brantley wrapped his arm around me as I laid my head on his shoulder crying softly. She should have been here to see her wear them. Luke wouldn't be going down the dark path he was. Then I had to stop and remind myself of something. That everything in life, the good and the bad, happened for a reason. It wasn't always up for us to know that reason sometimes until it was revealed to us.