Future In the Air

Scarlett's POV

I looked down at the pair in the middle of the floor of the living room with a quiet laugh before focusing back on my computer. Brantley was stretched out on his stomach helping Kara put the soft blocks she had in front of her into a tower. She loved for him to build them up for her, so she could knock them down. I was texting Kerri as I browsed. Both of us researching wedding venues for Luke and Naomi. News of their engagement had already blown up bigger than either of us expected. I had done my best to shield Naomi from some of the negative comments.

That she was too young for him. It was too soon after Caroline. What would his kids think? I rolled my eyes thinking about how the boys adored her as much as Luke did. I was trying to protect her. Okay..fine....I was trying to keep her from killing anyone.

Especially after my darling fiancé thought it would be hilarious to give Naomi her own set of personalized brass knuckles as an engagement gift. Said that his fake wife had to be able to take care of herself. Luke had thought it was the funniest thing in the world. I had literally face palmed hearing the phone call for bail money already. A tug at my socked foot pulled me from my work.

"What you doin baby?" Brantley asked looking up at me. Kara gave me a toothy grin grabbing his hat to chew on. I couldn't believe she would be one soon. Mama Becky had been helping me get the final touches on her party done. Had been hard to line it up around everyone's tour schedules. I think I had fixed it where everyone would be home but Luke.

"Checking out my half of the list of secure wedding venues that Kerri compiled a list of," I said absently scrolling. I wrinkled my nose at the interior of one place knowing Naomi would crap a brick at the sight of it. "They both agreed to let us narrow it down with everything they have going on."

"And what about all that you have going on," Brantley grumbled rolling his eyes as I glanced down seeing the look on his face. Here we go again. If wasn't for the fact I thought he would think I had lost my mind I would book a flight to Vegas for the pair of us right now and get it over with. I had told him my fears on New Year's. Had meant it when I said we would pick a date. Then life happened like it always did for the two of us. Added tour dates. The constant demand for interviews with Naomi. Her new album coming out along with B's. Miranda had been spotted in LA the same time as Blake fueling rumors I had furiously been trying to squash.

I had only gotten home this morning after flying to Tucson to corner Miranda on there being anything more than a coincidence going on. She'd sworn on a stack of Bibles she wasn't making that mistake again. "You can help find a venue for Naomi but can't pick a fuc..." I cut him off with a raised finger pointing at our daughter who was picking up words rapidly here lately. "A freaking wedding date for us. Christ baby, she picked her flowers. Settled on a dress and even setup an appointment with her stylist! Least you could do would be the same!"

"Watch your tone right now Brantley Keith," I snarled lowly sitting my computer to the side swinging my feet to the floor as he stood up. Kara looked up at us for a second then went back to babbling while playing with blocks. "I just back home this morning. Fighting with you over this again is the last thing I want to do. I would rather spend time with you and Kara."

"Yea well," he grumbled shaking his head turning to walk out of the living room. "I don't feel much like spending time with you right now."

I stood there with my hands on my hips in shock hearing his heavy footsteps stomp up the stairs to our bedroom. Running a hand over my face in frustration, I scooped Kara up darting up the stairs after him. I sat her down on our bed with the toy she had in her hand as I looked around. A minute later, Brantley stepped out of our closet with his backpack over his shoulder pausing when he saw me standing there. I glared at him before grabbing his arm pulling him into the hall so Kara wouldn't hear us.