Chapter 11

XI

Robin Hood had a lot on his mind.

So much had happened of late and the situation with Isabella was becoming more and more difficult. It had been quiet on that front the past few days but he had the feeling that this was merely the calm before the storm.

If only he could find a way to stop her... This is what he had been thinking of, lying awake on his bedroll, as his thoughts drifted off once again to something else entirely...

...to Sarah.

You are a fool Robin of Locksley.

He knew there were many reasons why he shouldn't think of her; the most important of which was lay beside him sharing his bed - Kate would castrate him if she could see into his mind right now. Not to mention what Gisborne would do...
And then there were the hard times ahead that he was sure were coming; they needed to be prepared, they needed a strategy if they were to be in with a chance of getting through.
But still his thoughts drifted...
Why could he not stop thinking of her?
He knew that this was not a good idea – not a good idea at all; he had enough on his plate right now, more than enough to be getting on with and the last thing he needed was to be distracted with thoughts like these.
But somehow she had him. There was something about her. Something... familiar...

Then it dawned on him.
How could he not have seen it earlier?
Upon speaking with her he had been astounded by her stubbornness, her recklessness, her inability to admit that she put herself in danger doing the things she did and her unwillingness to accept his offer of help. Only one other person had made him feel like this...

...Marian.

Now it all made sense. Despite all differences in appearance, his heart had recognised something of Marian in another - Sarah was not Marian's image, but she certainly had a good deal of her spirit.
How funny it was then that Gisborne should fall for her; it seemed that his heart had looked for Marian as well. Robin wondered if the Knight had noticed the similarities between them. Perhaps it was with Guy as it was with him: He missed her too.

Robin sighed, there was nothing for it; he would have to get up. He managed to extricate himself from Kate without waking her and then quietly tiptoed to the fire. He was amazed to find that he was not alone; Much was already sitting there, looking into the embers. Robin gave his friend a smile and an affectionate punch on the shoulder before sitting beside him.

"Can't sleep Much?"

"No, I did drop off for a bit but then... well, you know how it is..."

"No Much, how is it?"

"Something or other woke me up and then I got to thinking..."

"You? Thinking?" Robin was grinning, he enjoyed winding his best friend up.

Much looked put out, as was his custom, "Yes. Thinking. I do that too you know!"

"I know you do." Robin reached over and squeezed his arm playfully. They sat in silence for several moments before Robin's curiosity got the better of him, "Go on then, what were you thinking about?"

"About all this..." Much gestured to the camp in general, "so much has changed..." he was shaking his head, an unhappy expression on his face. Robin tilted his head to look him in the eyes and nodded to signal that he should go on.

"This isn't how I thought things would turn out..." His voice was agitated and his hands flailed, signalling his helplessness, "I remember when we returned from the Holy Land, I thought we would settle down... and I know it didn't happen but I just always assumed that at some point it would... you would be with Marian and I would be with Eve..."

Robin sighed. Yes Much, that would've been nice wouldn't it?

"...and now Marian is... gone... and Eve as well, and Will and Djaq and... we're still here."

Robin remained uncharacteristically silent. Much had pretty much just hit the nail on the head. There really wasn't anything he could say to that right now.

Much then made a noise that was something between a huff and a laugh "...and now he's here..." he gestured to a sleeping Gisborne nearby, a look of exasperation but also amusement on his face. Robin found himself quietly chuckling at this. They remained silent for a moment again, before Much offered cheerily, "Hey perhaps we could persuade the girl to take him off our hands!?"

"Much you're a genius! We could tie him up for her, like a present!" Robin grinned,

"Or just leave him on the doorstep of the Trip, someone would take him surely..." They both laughed softly, Robin patting Much on the back for his suggestion.

A long silence followed before Robin whispered, "It will be alright you know."

Much didn't look convinced.

"Do you think I'll ever see her again?"

Robin knew he was speaking of Eve.

"Of course you will."