Chapter 31

XXXI

"How appropriate, a battle so huge should come down to the important few."

Upon seeing Archer arrive, Guy had sighed in relief, for although Vaisey was not fighting at his best and Robin was there to help, Blamire was an excellent swordsman and with the sheer number of guards getting involved now, it was beginning to become a strain.

As Vaisey began to pontificate again, Archer had shot his brother a questioning look as if to ask 'Is he always this talkative?' Guy answered his question with a look of long suffering weariness followed by a playful smirk.

"A new one. I don't know you do I?" Vaisey pointed his sword at the new arrival.

"I was just minding my own business in York prison when these chaps turned up telling me I'm their brother." Archer replied with a grin.

"Well Archer, you've got to admit it's better here than in prison." Robin cheekily replied.

"I don't know, I didn't have this lot pointing their swords at me there." Archer laughed.

"Look, is this sorry excuse for a family reunion going to go on long or do I have to remind you that we are here to fight to the death?" Vaisey interrupted impatiently.

"Actually you're the one who's so fond of talking." Guy quipped, tossing his sword from one hand to the other. Archer laughed again. Vaisey gave him a dirty look.

"Alright enough!" Vaisey screeched.

Blamire thought he'd never see the day.

"Together..." Robin looked to Guy and then Archer.

"Brothers in arms!" Archer announced resolutely.

Then it was all a whirl of clashing swords.

Blamire went straight for Guy, perhaps sensing that he was weaker because he had been fighting longer but if Guy was at all tired, he didn't let it show, giving as good as he got.

Archer dispatched guards in quick succession and used his momentum to knock Blamire off balance, who unfortunately barely budged and quickly rallied before doing the same to him but knocking him clean to the floor, where his sword skittered out of his hand. He quickly righted himself and upon hearing Guy call his name, was astonished to see Guy throw his sword to him just in time to block Blamire's attack.

Vaisey went straight for Robin and if he had thought that he would have it easier with him because he was more proficient with a bow and arrow then he was sorely mistaken for it did not take long for Robin to knock him to the ground.

"For all the lives you've wrecked and for all people you've killed!" Robin yelled venomously before moving in for the death blow...

... seconds later he was staggering backwards in surprise wondering why Guy had pushed him out of the way...

... as he felt the sting of the gash upon his neck and then the warm rush of blood flowing to the wound, he knew exactly why Guy had done it: Blamire had nearly killed him.

He had little time to think of this before he was confronted with the horrifying sight of Vaisey rising up from the ground and stabbing Guy with his sword...

"Gisborne!" He screamed as he watched the knight sink to the floor. Archer rushed to his brother to help him as he desperately tried to right himself. Vaisey and Blamire stood nearby both sickly fascinated by the wounded man.

"This ends here!" Robin yelled agitatedly, pointing his sword from Vaisey to Blamire.

"How right you are Robin Hood!" Vaisey replied triumphantly looking down at Gisborne who was still grappling with Archer, trying to get to his feet. He then turned his attention to Robin, hissing nastily and gesturing to his wound.