Chapter 35

XXXV

"Y'alright Giz?"

Allan-a-Dale had come to relieve his friend from his watch at the cave. Guy's reply was an exasperated grunt.

"That bad eh?" Allan handed him an ale skin. Guy was grateful for it and muttered his thanks before taking a large swig out of it.

"I'm gatherin' our captive is not in a good mood then?" Allan sat down next to him. Guy said nothing but his weary expression confirmed that Allan was indeed correct.

They sat for a few moments in a companionable silence. Allan was about to speak but was interrupted by the arrival of Sarah and Emma.

"Aww look at them sister! So sweet! They look like twins with their matching slings!" Emma ran towards the men, laughing brightly. Sarah looked at them both and tried to stifle her amusement but quickly gave in to the urge to laugh as well.

Both men scowled and looked at each other incredulously.

"Aww look they even have matching scowls!" Emma teased, a big smile lighting up her face as she spoke.

She was so happy to see the two friends sitting side by side, two invalids, both with sling and left shoulder strapped up, sharing an ale skin. She thanked the lord that one and all of the outlaws had made it back to camp and that she'd had the opportunity to witness them all reunited.

"You wanna be careful Emma, your brother-in-law has quite a temper and he's not shy when it comes to tying ladies up if he has to!" Allan quipped. Guy smirked for it was too true, as his eyes met Sarah's they exchanged a knowing smile.

Emma playfully hid behind her sister, "He'd have to get past Sarah first and I'd like to see him try!"

Guy merely got up from where he'd been sitting and reached with his good arm to pull his wife close before smiling at Allan and gesturing with a flick of the head that Emma was now his for the taking; "she's all yours Allan."

Allan laughed before swiftly jumping up to chase his beloved; she didn't get far or put up much resistance upon being caught. He celebrated his conquest with a peck upon her lips and then looked over his shoulder to see if they were being watched. He need not have worried, Guy was busy kissing his own lady and so Allan continued where he had left off.

Moments later, he saw Sarah leading her husband off into the forest.

"Go easy on him Sarah, he's ailing!" He shouted grinning cheekily.

"Don't forget to keep an eye on Isabella." Guy winked at Allan before following his wife in the direction of the river.

**********

"You are worried for her, I can tell." Sarah snuggled against her husband, it would be dark soon and the first evening chills were cooling her skin.

She was of course referring to Isabella. "I know it's what she wants and that the money from Prince John would be a great help to us but still..."

"It's not really what anybody would want for their sister is it?" She interrupted.

"Not anybody who knows him, no." He replied.

They were silent for a moment both lost in their thoughts. "Perhaps we should give her a few days to think about it, let it all sink in; maybe she'll come to feel differently about it..."

Guy was frowning but then he looked upon his wife and could not stay downhearted for long. His lips curled into an amused smile, "Isabella thinks you are a witch - perhaps you could cast a spell on her..." he whispered before leaning in to kiss her slowly and reverently.

"I'll see what I can do..." She replied before trailing off to bewitch him with her kisses.

**********

As night fell over Sherwood, the outlaws congregated around the fire.

They had already begun eating when Guy and Sarah turned up and were greeted by a chorus of catcalls. Everyone knew where they'd been. Guy smirked and rolled his eyes before pulling his blushing bride past everybody over to where Much was dishing out two bowls of food for them.

It was squirrel. Neither had missed it.

They thanked him and took their place with the others by the fire. Robin asked them about Isabella and received the tense reply he had expected from Guy. Tuck repeated what Sarah had said earlier about how it would be best to give her some time now to let it all sink in and reflect on her situation. Little John and Kate agreed with Tuck, although they, like everyone else seemed doubtful that the former Sheriff would change her mind.

They were all glad when Much changed the subject and spoke of happy plans to visit Eve.

They had come so close to death in the castle and he couldn't help but feel that this was like a second chance for them all, a chance for new beginnings, to do the things they had wanted to do and yet for whatever reason held back.

They all nodded in agreement, for who knew what tomorrow would bring for any of them, they had come much further than they had ever imagined...

and so all that was left to do was take each day as it comes and trust in God and be grateful for his mercy...

and live their lives in hope...

and love...

and friendship...

together.