Chapter 29

XXIX

It was ironic that just as Vaisey was feeling at his most invincible, many amongst his troops were feeling anything but.

It had never been easy serving Vaisey and Prince John but it seemed to many that the closer that the Prince got to the throne; the more difficult it became to serve either man. And now that King Richard was being held to ransom by Leopold of Austria, there should be nothing left to stand in their way but still it seemed that the men were more skittish than ever.

If there had been a reason that many had begun to doubt then it would be Robin Hood. The stories about the man and his deeds were the stuff of legend; enough to make even the most loyal soldier wonder.

But if there was a point when the rot had really set in then that would have to be when Sir Guy of Gisborne jumped ship. The man was the stuff of legend himself: fearsome, loyal, ruthless, a man who stopped at nothing. He had been at Vaisey's side for most of his life – a feat that seemed unfathomable to anybody who'd ever had the pleasure of meeting the Sheriff, let alone those who served him lower down the ranks.

Then at some point, the Master of Arms had turned his back on it all. He'd even gone so far as to try and assassinate the Prince at his coronation. Even the dumbest soldier can see that all is not well when such a loyal servant turns on his master like that.

It was even rumoured that Gisborne had killed Vaisey, that it hadn't been Robin Hood as Prince John had claimed but in fact the Sheriff's lieutenant. Many believed it. Indeed, none amongst the men who knew the Sheriff could blame Gisborne if he'd had enough – he was just a man after all and every man has his limit.

No, the real shock came with the news that Gisborne had changed sides. That cut deep. If some of the men had been worried before, then that was what really rocked the boat.

A few refused to believe it, a strategy that completely fell apart upon seeing Gisborne ride out with Robin Hood the previous afternoon. That had made many of them very nervous indeed. As if it wasn't bad enough that their leader was recently resurrected from the dead, (yet another shock to make one and all wonder what the hell was going on), now here was Gisborne riding out with the man who'd been his enemy for years as if they were old buddies.

These were the topics of conversation amongst the men before they retired for the night - not exactly motivating for them, not thoughts to settle the nerves before a battle...

...and then the trebuchets combusted...

This alone would've had many running for the hills were it not for the fact that Vaisey would have them flogged for desertion but then came the worst of all...

...the sickness...

As Vaisey stood at the castle gates smugly informing Robin Hood that King Richard and the cavalry weren't coming, many of his very own cavalry were not behind him as they should have been but in fact on their knees, retching up the contents of their stomachs, soiling their breeches, thinking they were dying or wishing they were dead.

As their fellow comrades looked on in horror, one could not help but wonder if the whole mission was cursed. This must be punishment surely - punishment for taking the devil's coin, for serving a dead man, for having ignored the signs that all was not well.

It was that moment, in the face of what could only be God's wrath that many began to flee, terrified that the sickness might take hold of them also.

Vaisey might have felt invincible that morning, little did he know that whilst he was busy triumphantly announcing King Richard's fate to the outlaws that behind him his men were leaving in droves.

God was not on their side it seemed, and who was the simple soldier to go against God's will?

**********

"Robin! The Portcullis is breached! We can't hold them!"

Not long after Kate uttered these words a loud bang stopped everybody in their tracks.

Tuck threw himself to the floor, which looked a bit silly, but considering all the explosive material in the room was actually prudent. Fortunately, it wasn't any of his stuff that had gone up.

Everybody looked around the great hall, wondering what had just occurred. Robin was the first to speak: "What was that?"
Archer walked to the 'secret' door that led to the tunnel and slowly opened it, peeking inside for a few seconds. "I think it came from the tunnel."

"Vaisey?" Guy wondered aloud.

"It must be. It can't be Isabella can it?" Robin replied. Sarah repressed a smile and took pains to avoid eye contact with Guy.

Shhh Sarah, easy does it, explaining what you did to his sister isn't a discussion you want to be having right now...

"We need to get down there." Archer looked to Guy, snapping him out of his thoughts and he drew his sword before taking the few steps to the door.

"I'll go." His voice was as low as a growl.

"Does it always have to be you?" Sarah asked quietly. He froze mid-step. He turned to look at her and the expression on his face told her all she needed to know.

"I don't suppose I could come with you?" She looked so pitiful as she asked this that Guy had to restrain himself from going to her and taking her into his arms. The others watched the scene in silence but Much couldn't resist a little "Aww Sarah..."

She looked to the ground, not wanting to receive his answer, knowing full well what he would say and also not wanting him to see how upset she was. Her lips curled into a resigned grimace and then after a small shake of her head she reached up into her sleeve and retrieved Guy's dagger and sheath. She held it out to him, raising her eyes to his,

"Go on, take it..." She tried to smile but her eyes were full of sadness and it broke his heart to see her like this.

"No funny business this time, I promise." She was of course referring to the first time she had held a dagger to him, well to his belly actually, back then her intentions had not been so good.

He passed Archer his sword, took the few steps towards her and took her into his arms. He held her tightly and for a few moments, it was as if it was just they two... that is until the silence was broken by a voice nearby:

"Aww..." that was most definitely Much, softy that he is.

"Shut up Much!" That was most definitely Robin and despite his words, his tone was affectionately teasing.

Sarah began to laugh. Her body shook with her giggles; this got Guy going as well, which got everybody else going. Perhaps it was a sort of release for pent up tension, who knows, but for a few seconds, everybody enjoyed one of the lighter moments of what was to become a fateful day.

Guy took the dagger from Sarah, whispered his thanks, kissed her on the top of her head and then turned back to Archer.

They could wait no longer.

**********

Guy felt hyper-alert as he entered the tunnel, fear made his skin prickle but he was no coward; no, he would see it through to the end this time.

It was not long before he heard the familiar voice of his former master:

"You know Gisborne, you loved me once..."