Chapter 19: Buzzkill

Shane's P.O.V

My hands trembled in fear as I roamed the busy halls of the hospital. People were in panic trying to grab their loved one or at least get out. Something broke out in the city, something none of us have seen before. I on the other hand was trying to get to my best friend Rick, who had been shot a couple of days earlier falling into a coma. However, the hopes of me reaching him were slim.

"Check them all!" I heard another man yell, he held a gun to a dead body nudging it as they moved on. What the fuck was going on?

I pushed through the crowd, beads of sweat falling down my forehead. My shirt was soaked with sweat. I finally reached his room slamming the door open. There lied Rick, pale and lifeless but with the support of the wires and machines around him. I could hear the nearby screams and gun shots coming from outside and the wailing of sirens and helicopters as they passed by. I didn't have much time.

"Listen to me." I whispered out of breath, another gunshot echoing from down the hall. "If you're gonna wake up, I need you to do it now. Okay? Now. Please, man, just show me a sign. Anything. - Please, Rick." Tears threatened to escape my eyes as my heart throbbed at the pain that I might have to leave my best friend. I fell by Ricks side in complete agony when a sudden explosion rocked the building. The lights flickered as voices passed the room.

"The place is coming down! Fall back! All units fall back."

I looked at Rick once more knowing I would most likely never see him again. I felt myself choking back tears as I shakily got up moving towards the door.

"I...I'm sorry, Rick. I'll look after your family." And at that I opened the door closing it and moving a hospital bed in front of his door just in case there was a miracle of him ever waking up in this shit storm. I looked down the dark halls of the hospital listening to nearby growls as I moved into the shadows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Daryl, you cover the back." Shane ordered as Daryl mumbled at him in response. Indigo wearily moved forward into the building along side Lori and Carl, Sophia and Carol not much behind them. "Hello? Hello? Watch those doors. Watch for walkers. - Hello?" Shane's calls were met with the cock of a gun as they all stopped in their places.

A scientific looking guy pointed his gun at them. "Anybody infected?"

"One of our group was." Indigo muttered quietly, "He didn't make it." The man maintained his distance but was slightly saddened at the sight of the little girl let alone her reply.

"Why are you here? What do you want?" He asked as Rick moved forwards.

"A chance."

"That's asking an awful lot these days." He responded as he lowered his gun a little.

"I know." Rick stated sadly.

"You all submit to a blood test." He said, "That's the price of admission."

Blood test? Wait, does that mean needles.

"We can do that." Rick replied as Indigo shook her head.

"No, Rick, no. We can't do that." She whimpered, "tell him we can't do that."