Chapter 37: Judge, Jury, Executioner

Over the past few days, Indigo couldn't get Randell out of her head, this one memory just played over and over when she went to sleep. She had snuck out that night to see what they were doing to him...it was horrible and it was Shane back at the Barn when they first came back with him, locked him up.

"I barely knew those guys." Randell mumbled, "I met 'em on the road."

"How many in your group?" Shane asked holding some sort of weapon.

"Uh, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no."

"Come on, man. How many?!"

"Uh, 30-- 30. 30 guys."

"Where?"

"Uh... I don't know. I swear." Randell cried, "We were never stayed anyplace more than a night."

"Scouting? Planning on staying local?"

"I-- I don't know. They-- they left me behind."

"Did you ever pick off a scab?"

"Come on, man! I'm-I'm trying to cooperate."

"Start real slow at first."

"No."

"Sooner or later, you've just gotta rip it off." Indigo watched the bloody scene unfold as she looked away terrified. She listened with her face turned the other way, this was torture. This wasn't right.

"Okay. Okay. They have weapons-- Heavy stuff, automatics. But I didn't do anything."

"Your boys shot at my boys, a little girl, tried to take this farm. You just went along for the ride?" Shane said, "You're trying to tell me you're innocent?"

"Yes! These-- these people took me in. Not just guys-- A whole group of 'em." Randell replied, "Men and women, kids too-- Just like you people. Thought I'd have a better chance with them, you know? But... We go out, scavenge-- Just the men. One night, we-- we found this little campsite. A man and his two daughters-- Teenagers, you know? Real young. Real cute. Their daddy had to watch while these guys-- they-- And they didn't even kill him afterwards. They just-- They just made him watch as his daughters-- They just-just-- just left him there. No, but-but-- but I didn't touch those girls. No, I swear I didn't to-- Please. Please. You gotta believe me, man. I'm not like that. I ain't like that. Please. Please, you gotta believe me."

Indigo was disgusted as she leaned a little more out so she could hear the other men speaking but couldn't recognise their voices from this distance.

"So what you gonna do?"

"We'd all feel better if we knew the plan."

"Is there a plan? We gonna keep him here?"

"We'll know soon enough."

"Boy there's got a gang, 30 men. They have heavy artillery and they ain't looking to make friends. They roll through here, our boys are dead. And our women, they're gonna-- They're gonna wish they were."

"What did you do?"

"Had a little chat." She heard Shane say, "No one goes near this guy."

------------

Indigo woke up instantly looking outside the tent, it was still dark out. Just the light ashes and the crackles of the fire. She moved outside their tent do she didn't disturb Lori and Carl. Rick was no where to be seen. She grabbed Bear softly, she hadn't been paying much attention to him lately, he got her through so much. He gave her this comfort that she couldn't even describe. Rick all of a sudden came into view, he looked surprised to see her awake.