Chapter 39: Better Angels~

2 hours later

Indigo tapped the dining table with a pencil letting the noise distract her from reality. Lori made her do homework. In the apocalypse. Carl didn't escape either he was just about dying from boredom as she was. Lori finally came back from speaking to Glenn, they could have probably done a runner a good hour ago but I guess it was too late.

"Hey you two. This isn't time for a nap." Lori clicked her fingers making the two kids slump upwards in their chairs suddenly.

"Mom, it's the apocalypse." Carl groaned fiddling with the cubes Lori had passed out to them earlier for solving problems.

"Yeah and I won't have my kids not have at least some sort of education." Lori used the mom tone making Carl roll his eyes, "If you don't get it done, we'll be here longer. After all it is the apocalypse and we have all the time in the world."

"Fine." He crossed his arms annoyed that his mom used his words against him.

Indigo looked at the sheet of paper. It had words all over it that she couldn't read. She never completed her reading at school after all, walkers made sure of that. The letters were all jumbled around making her frustrated.

"Carl, you read the first sentence." Lori smiled showing him the passage.

"Uh...okay...um." Carl trailed his finger across the first sentence as he read, "The man in White was as white as snow. Some say he was winter itself, others say he was as cold as ice. Instead of being upset over the labels, the man em-bra-ced them."

Indigo stared at the page not even blinking. There was no chance she was going to be reading. Besides what kind of shitty passage was that??

"Indigo?" Lori said confident that her son was okay turned to the small girl, "Your turn. Second sentence please."

"Um..." The words weren't adding up as she pretended to find the right sentence. Lori finally showed her where it was causing her to turn a deep red, "I...uh...can I be excused?"

"Indigo, you excused yourself ten minutes ago." Lori shook her head, "Don't go hiding in a cupboard again because you don't want to do the work."

"It's not like that." Indigo said frustrated at the woman. I mean it was but it wasn't. This time she wasn't trying to hide, she was running.

"Then what is it like?"

"It's nothing." The girl whimpered, "stop making me do this. It's so stupid!" The girl stormed out of the room and out of the front door. She didn't need to explain herself to every person. Indi didn't make it far before running into a tall figure.

Out of every person in camp, it had to be Shane.

"What's wrong with you?" He asked and Indigo pushed past him.

"Nothin'. Mind your own damn business."

He grabbed her by the arm, hard enough it could leave a mark, "watch your mouth, girl."

Indigo felt herself shrink in fear but remained her composure. Shane's expression reminded her of the leader back at her old camp with her parents. He was scary, hated weakness which is why her parents hid her. Kids were not allowed, he saw them as a threat to the strength of the group. Indigo inhaled deeply kicking him in the forbidden zone, "keep your hands off me." She screamed as Shane held where it hurts most. This caused everyone to look at them as she ran off towards the fields around the farm.