A Frame For A Photo

Y/N POV

The members of Rainbow had many questions. "What's the future like?" IQ asked. "Mostly rainy. The icecaps melted flooding most of India and South America." You respond earning sad looks from the Brazilian operators. One question stuck out though. "Why are you staying with us? Why aren't you looking for a way back?" A green haired girl asked. Your smile disappeared. A cold silence flooded the room. "Ela, Don't be rude." A girl in a similar jacket told the girl. "No, it's alright." You reassure the two. "I don't really have anything to go back to." "What do you mean?" She asked. "Don't you have family or friends?" "No." You respond plainly thinking back to the fight at the reactor. "But that's a story for another time." You said quietly. "I'll take you to your room." Eliza said leading you out of the room. 

The two of you arrived at an empty room. "Usually we bunk with our unit, but your kind of your own unit." She said turning on the light. You were expecting a bunker like room, similar to what you had in the future. But it was more like an apartment. You walk over to the living room and spot a nice cabinet. Next to it lay a nice white sofa. In the opposite room was a large bed, walk-in closet and bathroom. In the kitchen there was a coffee maker. You ran to it and put a mug underneath the spout. Hitting the button on top the dark liquid poured in the cup. When it was done you pulled out a small flask from your jacket and poured the contents in the mug. You pick up the mug and sip the coffee greedily. You placed the empty mug in the sink and turn to Eliza. "What was in the flask?" She asked most likely already knowing the answer. "Irish whiskey." You said placing the flask on the counter. 

Later that day Six sent you to a shopping development. She called it a mall. You needed to get some clothes other than your jacket and jeans. You wore a glove on your left arm to cover the cybernetic arm. She had also handed you some currency for joining Rainbow. After gathering some shirts and pants you stop at the liquor store. You hand the man at the counter a handful of cash and leave with two crates of hard liquor. The group you were with eyed the boxes suspiciously. 

Back in your room you unload the liquor into the cabinet. Satisfied with your set up you fold and put your clothes away. Sliding of the glove you open one of the bottles. It was cheap but strong. You pour a glass and put it on the shelf. The taste flooded your mouth a s you drained the cup in a single sip. You pull out a small piece of paper and unfold it. A picture of you with your old teammates. Carefully you place it in a small frame you had purchased. 

You poured yourself another drink and sat on your bed staring at the picture. "Who's in the picture?" A female voice said, snapping you out of your trance. You turn around and see IQ. "You scared me IQ." "Please, call me Monika." She responded. "Okay Monika, care for a drink?" You ask walking over to your liquor cabinet. She shrugged as you pull out a bottle of whiskey. You hand her the glass and she takes a small sip. "That's some strong stuff." She said as you walked back to the bedroom. "They were my teammates." You said picking up the frame. "Were?" She asked. "Our last mission went south. I was the only survivor." You said before downing your glass. Those two there, that's Reaper and Flare. They were the pranksters of the team. We always joked that Flare was the reason I drink." You said with a chuckle. "Who's that?" Monika asked pointing to the man on your right. "He was our TL, or team leader. When we first joined we misheard TL and thought he said Teal. The name stuck and that's what we called him." You said remembering the time you first meet the Guardian Angels. "But alas they are gone." You said as a tear ran down the side of your face. "They were like family to me." You said placing the picture back. "I'm sorry for your loss." Monika said looking down. You walk up to her. "Don't be, everything has a purpose. I might not see it now but there must be a reason I was sent here." You said placing your hand on her shoulder. "Everything will be okay."