5. Life Support

The beeping of the monitor in the hospital was the only thing Mario heard. Giselle laid in the hospital bed, her face looked pale just like the snow in December. They had both been there for 5 hours. When Mario got there they asked him many questions that he didn't know the answer to. When they got her stable they explained to him, everything that was going on with her. Mario knew everything, her illness.

"Stop looking at me like I'm about to die this second.", Giselle said to him with some trouble.

Mario chuckled at her.

"Why? Why didn't you tell me?", Mario said to her furrowing his eyebrows. He leaned closer to her bed.

"I don't know where my death would fit into a conversation.", Giselle said trying to be funny about it but Mario didn't feel the need to laugh. "Here is Alex's clothes and oh hey I have leukemia and I'm slowly but surely dying. Cheers."

"Don't.", Mario said sternly. "Don't joke about this."

"I don't know how else to feel about it Mario.", She said she directed her glassy eyes away from his eyes. She kept her eyes on the window outside, where the sun was shining. The rays of the sun leaking into the room. "I'm dying."

"I could have helped you, given you the best doctors Giselle.", Mario said grabbing her hand and squeezing it.

Giselle turned around and looked at him. By now small tears where being shed.

Giselle was going to speak but the door opened and the doctor came in.

"Hello love, not so happy to see you here,", The doctor spoke with his British accent. "Well let's get to it. We had to cauterize your nose, first we had to get a count on your palates and you're stable.", The doctor said looking into her medical folder. Which at this rate was getting thicker.

"I thought I was making progress.", Giselle said with confusion.

"I'm afraid the cancer has spread much further.", The doctor said, trying to give this news to her lightly. "You can slow it down Giselle, Leukemia can be slowed down."

"Chemo makes me feel useless.", Giselle said making a somewhat valid point.

"Not necessarily, the chemotherapy will help it slow it down but it can also get rid of it. You would go into remission and you'd be free of it. Their are people who respond positively to this and some who relapse. You have nothing to lose because there is always a chance. It might make you feel weak but you while have life."

"She'll take the chemo.", Mario spoke up and looked at Giselle. "I'm not going to leave my son without his mother."

Giselle looked at him and back at the doctor.

"How bad is it now?", Giselle asked looking at the doctor with a determined but with a look like she didn't want to find out. What the future had planned for her.

"I'm afraid its spread to your spine. The last time you came here I gave you medication Giselle. Have you been taking it regularly? As prescribed.", the doctor asked her.

"When we went to Brazil I skipped a few days because the pain wasn't there and I thought I was getting better so I stopped taking it for a few days.", Giselle answered his question.

"That's why this happened, although you don't feel pain. Its inside of you, it is your blood cells. You won't necessarily feel them.", the doctor responded and giselle nodded. "Now love, from now on a nurse is going to come every week to your house. She's going to check all your vitals.", he said and Giselle just nodded. "Alright I'll leave you be, if you have any questions ring me up or visit my office."