Chapter 17: Breakfast

Chapter 17:  Breakfast

       I open my eyes to see a white ceiling unfamiliar to me. I blink a few times and turn over.  "Aiden." I whisper, only to see the side of the bed empty. I set up and look around.

Maybe he's in the shower?

But the water isn't running. I move the covers off of me and get up.

Going down the stairs, I call out his name again. "Aiden?" I stop when I walked past a mirror and saw my head. It was all a mess, I sigh and continue looking. Laughing comes from the kitchen and in I see a lady cooking something over the stove. She turns around and sees me.

I slowly walk in, nervous. "Oh I'm sorry." I begin to walk out.

"No stay." She says.  

     I assume that this woman was Brenda, the nanny, because she looked nothing like Aiden. Her hair was dark brown with green eyes. And she had a British accent. "Would you like to eat? I'm making some omelets and bacon." She offered. "Um...I—

"Oh honey it's okay. You helped Aiden last night, so let me help you, with some food." I give in, and politely ask if she needed help. "Oh no honey, Aiden is coming back with some milk; he's going to make the girls French toast." I raise an eyebrow. "Aiden cooks?" She nods, smiling. "He tries, but I always tell him to just let me handle the bread before he burns it." I laughed.

     "So sweetheart, what's your name?" She asked.

"Oh, it's Nia." I tell her.

"Beautiful name," She flipped over the omelet with the spatula. "For a beautiful girl." I smile at her. "Thank you." She nods, "So what happened last night?"

I tell her everything, everything from me finding him and to me taking him home. "Well that was kind of you. I guess he needed that, because he doesn't talk to me about his feelings, when I tell him that he can come to me anytime," She sighs. "I just want what's best for the boy." She says. I hear the door shut and look over.

    Aiden comes in with grocery bags in his hands. "I told you only to get milk." She said, taking the items from his hands. "Yeah, but then I realized how we were out of those nasty granola bars Avery likes, and the breakfast bowls for during the week. So I got those too." He says.

He looks over and notices me. "Nia, you're up."

I nod, "Yes sir, and I hear you make some mean French toast." I tease, trying to lighten up the mood. I see Brenda smile. He looks at her then back at me. "I do." I grab the skillet that was laying out waiting. "Well let's go Chef Thomas; my toast is waiting to be French."

    "Why didn't you tell me you knew how to cook?" I asked him. I was leaning on the counter watching him cook the toast. "Because I just learned how." He flips over the slice of bread. "Well then try not to burn my toast." He chuckles and flips it over again.

It gets silent as I was just watching him.

"Do you want to talk about last night?" I blurted.

It has been on my mind since he came back. Maybe since he isn't high anymore he will say something different. "No." He replies.

"Why not?" I question.

He looks at me, "Because I don't need a fucking therapist. It was just one night, I was high and I said something to you. Now I don't wanna say it again."

     His face instantly changes when he sees mine, "Okay I'm sorry; you don't need to yell at me." He shakes his head, "Can you hand me that plate?" He points to the plate that already has three slices of French toast. I hand him the plate, and leave the kitchen.