Chapter Sixteen

Zi Xuan was sitting on the couch, feet on the coffee table, on his phone watching some sort of volleyball thing. Yu Hao had just finished cleaning the kitchen, was was eyeing the back of Zi Xuan's head.

He walked around the couch, leaning against it slightly. When Zi Xuan didn't take his eyes off the screen, he sighed, opting for a more physical plan.

He put either one of his knees on the sides of Zi Xuan's thighs, resting his bum very close to Xuan's crotch, snaking his hands up his chest to droop around his shoulder, teasing at the small hairs on his neck. Easily, Zi Xuan paused his video, putting down his phone, and taking a firm hold on Yu Hao's hips, keeping them from moving and creating an unwanted reaction.

Only now did Yu Hao take his chance to speak. "What are we gonna do for Christmas?" He asked, admiring the curve of Zi Xuan's jaw.

"What are we gonna do for Christmas?" Repeated Zi Xuan. "I was thinking about... taking you to meet my parents, maybe." He slowly inched his fingers under Yu Hao's shirt, touching the exposed fatty skin under. It was soft and squishy, making Zi Xuan smile. Yu Hao slapped his hand away quickly, trying to remain serious.

"Meet your parents?" He said, brushing his thumb against Zi Xuan's cheekbone. "That's a big step."

"I know." Zi Xuan stared Yu Hao dead in the eyes, admiring the pretty specks of gold that were found among the dark brown iris. "I'm only ready to take it if you are."

Yu Hao nodded, moving slightly closer, pulling Zi Xuan in for a hug. When he pulled away, his face twisted slightly. "I haven't talked to my mom in years."

Zi Xuan looked at him questioningly. It was one of the things that made Yu Hao feel... different, although he would never say that to Zi Xuan. The way Zi Xuan looked at him, even when he didn't need to. Even when there were better things to admire and examine, Zi Xuan's eyes were still fixed tightly on him. "Why?"

"Because." He moved closer to Zi Xuan, whispering in his ear. "I lied."

Xuan looked at him questioningly once again. "What do you mean?"

"My dad never abused me. In fact, I hardly knew he existed until health class." Yu Hao shrugged, meeting Zi Xuan's eyes.

"Oh." Zi Xuan brushed a hand against his hair. "That's..."

"Fucked up, I know." Yu Hao bit his lip. "I... I guess I miss her. I don't know how to fix things, though."

"We could go visit her, if you want." He said, brushing careful fingers along his collarbone. "At least, if something happens, I'm there with you."

Yu Hao looked down slowly. "You treat me like a child." Zi Xuan became concerned in a quick second.

"I don't try to, baby." He said, using his hand to tilt Yu Hao's chin back up, forcing him to meet his eyes. "You know I just want to keep you safe. I love you too much to let anything bad happen to you."

Yu Hao nodded, biting his lip. He knew that Zi Xuan was constantly concerned for him. He took away the alcohol when Yu Hao had too much. He made sure Yu Hao was happy, and let him have his time away when he needed it.

He didn't want Yu Hao to hurt anymore. There was too much that had happened, with the drunk driving, getting kicked off the team, and most recently, the overdose, to let Yu Hao fend for himself.

And he really did love Yu Hao, and couldn't stand to see him gone. Even if he was unbearable and annoying and hopelessly disobedient. He was still Yu Hao, and he deserved life.

"I love you." Yu Hao leaned in, connecting their lips in a gentle kiss that portrayed all the emotions of the words spoken. Zi Xuan kissed back, saying the three words mentally even if he wasn't saying them physically. Yu Hao pulled away, smiling at Zi Xuan's blissed expression, loosely running his thumb against his cheek. Turning to the window, his mouth opened slightly in awe. "Look..." he pointed, his voice soft. "It's snowing."

•••

Three weeks later, the couple packed suitcases into a small car, preparing to drive out of Beijing to a slightly smaller city, Shenzhen. Zi Xuan's parents lived there, and Yu Hao and him planned to stay with them for Christmas, and then go visit Yu Hao's mother.

Yu Hao's dimples stayed prominent as they began to drive. He felt more free than he had in a long time, driving out of this city that bore so much weight onto his being that it hurt, most of the time. Now he felt lighthearted in the shotgun seat, staring as the lights faded and the sun began to rise in the hazing sky.

Zi Xuan looked at him occasionally, enjoying the stress-free face he had. Reaching over, he rubbed Yu Hao's back, smiling at him and receiving a grin back.

Qian Rui was coming too, taking HoJae with her to officially introduce him to her and Zi Xuan's parents. It seemed appropriate, especially since Zi Xuan was bring Yu Hao with him as well.

They reached Shenzhen by 9, reaching his parents house. Zi Xuan hadn't been there in a while, not since he met Yu Hao, and it felt refreshing to be there. He would normally meet up with his parents halfway somewhere, and rarely drove the seven hours, but this weekend would be different. In fact, Zi Xuan already had Yu Hao's Christmas present ready.

He reached over the console and pecked Yu Hao's cheek, patting it softly when he pulled away. "Thanks for coming with me. I'm really excited for them to meet you."

Yu Hao nodded, smiling at his boyfriend. "I'm excited to meet them too."

Zi Xuan could sense a slight apprehension in his voice, but he tried his best to ignore it, getting out of the car and taking both their suitcases. Yu Hao followed behind him slowly, hands in his pockets, tongue darting out to moisten lips dry from fear.

Zi Xuan put one suit case down and opened the door, smiling, as if it was his own house. Yu Hao followed behind him and stood beside him.

Zi Xuan's mother was immediately on him, hugging him and vocalizing greetings into his ear. "Aiya, it's been so long since I've seen you. Look at you! Getting so y'all and so fat! You've been eating well I see!" She grinned, patting his cheeks with a loving vigor that made Yu Hao miss his own mother.

"Hello to you too, ma." Zi Xuan said sarcastically, turning his head to smile at Yu Hao. He had hardly even noticed that his ma had stopped, examining Yu Hao like he was a abstract piece of art.

"You must be... Xia Yu." She squinted at him, then turned to Zi Xuan, whispering in his ear. "She's very manly looking."

Zi Xuan froze up. Was it possible that his mom read the text wrong and assumed he was bringing home a girl? The way she said Xia Yu and...

His brain stopped. FUCK!!

"No, mom, this... this is Yu Hao. My boyfriend. You must of heard wrong." Yu Hao stretched his hand out to shake hers in a kind gesture. He tried not to, but he bit his lip on instinct, tasting the blood in his mouth in an instant.

She reached out her hand, hesitantly taking Yu Hao's and gripping it. "It's nice to meet you, Yu Hao." She smiled carefully, like she had to plan all her movements to avoid making a mistake. She turned back to Zi Xuan.

"To be honest, I never thought you would be the type of person to swing the other way." Zi Xuan's heart sunk. "But you know that I love you like nothing else. And I'll support anything you do. And if he makes you happy, please be happy with him."

Zi Xuan nodded, sighing deeply in relief.

A/N:

I'm back!!!!!!