Chapter Seventeen

Yu Hao had had an exhausting day being part of Qi family traditions. After sleeping on the couch, (they wouldn't let him sleep with Zi Xuan the first night, as they wanted more time to study his intentions) he woke up to a busy kitchen. They were beginning to prepare Christmas Eve dinner, which they would have before they went to church at 10pm.

All throughout the day, Yu Hao was being asked questions, about everything from what he used to do from what he does now. It scared him slightly, because he knew he had had a tough past, but Zi Xuan defended him no matter what. He even said that Yu Hao was now a better person, and that he trusted Yu Hao more than anyone else.

Qian Rui came very late, when it was around 4pm. She had brought HoJae with her, and he was smiling, and oblivious as always. As soon as he got there, the family opened up more to Yu Hao, who could at least speak fluent Mandarin. Plus, HoJae was entirely focused on Qian Rui and literally nothing else. Literally. He had quit his job earlier this week to be with her more frequently.

They ate dinner, but the air was slightly tense. Yu Hao could tell mama Qi was waiting for the right moment to pull Qian Rui aside and ask her about her choices.

Yu Hao tried his best to ignore the tension and focus on Zi Xuan, who was stroking his thigh slowly as his mother made small talk to HoJae. Yu Hao wasn't looking at him, but he could feel him, physically and emotionally. It scared him how aware he was of Zi Xuan, even when they weren't touching. If he was in a room full of people and Zi Xuan entered, he could tell easily. They had a connection that Yu Hao had never experienced before. It was comforting, but for a closeted, famous athlete, it was also incredibly scary.

"Yu Hao." Zi Xuan's mother said sternly, snapping him out of his thoughts. He looked to her.

"Yes ma'am?"

"You are permitted to sleep with Zi Xuan tonight. I'll allow it." Yu Hao tried not to let his smile show as he nodded politely.

"Thank you."

"Please go change for church, now." She excused the two men, and they walked to Zi Xuan's room. Yu Hao hadn't been there yet, and he hadn't prepared for the amount of 'Zi Xuan' the room held.

He stopped in the doorway, taking it all in. A small trophy shelf on one side, under a window where you could only see the sky. On the other side was a twin bed and across was a small desk. Posters decorated the room, mostly famous volleyball players and inspiring quotes. Yu Hao's heart swerved, because he could totally picture a young Zi Xuan growing up in this room.

Zi Xuan was already sitting on his bed, smiling at the gentleness on Yu Hao's face. "My mom approves of you." He grinned as he watched Yu Hao float back down to earth.

"I'm happy about that." He smiled, walking over to Zi Xuan and sitting down beside him. "Are we actually going to church? Or is that code for something else?"

Zi Xuan laughed. "Something else? Like what... blowjobs in the bathroom?" He laughed again, pinching Yu Hao's cheek. "Yes, she means church church. And I'm hoping it will be slightly open to gays."

"Me too." He leaned his head onto Zi Xuan's shoulder, watching as Zi Xuan linked their hands together, squeezing his tight. "You know, I wasn't sure about it at first, but I'm really happy you brought me here."

Zi Xuan turned his head, kissing Yu Hao's head and smiling. "Me too."

•••

"Come on, mom!" Qian Rui shouted, slamming the door. "What's your fucking problem this time?"

"My problem." Mama tried her best to stay calm. "Is that you brought home somebody who obviously isn't good for you. Who pays the bills if he doesn't have a job and you're in college?" She shook her head, looking angrily at her youngest. "You need someone who will take care of you. Can't you tell he isn't right for you?"

Qian Rui shook her head. "At least I brought home someone the opposite gender than me. I can't believe you don't scold Zi Xuan about bringing home a man." She rolled her eyes. "Wait, never mind. I do believe it. Because you never scold him about anything."

"That's not true and you know it!" She yelled at her daughter. "I happen to think Yu Hao is quite sweet. And I'm happy Zi Xuan has found someone who knows how to treat him." With that, she pushed past Qian Rui and towards the door. "Got ready for church."

Qian Rui kicked a rock. "I'm not going. And neither is HoJae."

"You are going, and that's final."

"Why do you want me to come? Too embarrassed to introduce your gay son and his boyfriend to your church friends?" She laughed, almost pitifully, as the first tear fell from her eye. "Well, have fun with that. And... merry Christmas." She shook her head, turning around and walking to her car.

"Qian Rui! Qian Rui! You get back here!" But she had already slammed the door.

•••

Yu Hao's eyes opened fast, then closed again slowly, but a sharp slap to his thigh made him jolt up in annoyance. He turned his head, facing Zi Xuan, who smiled softly at him.

"Pay attention." He whispered, squeezing Yu Hao's knee. "Or my mother will kill you."

Yu Hao smiled, leaning his head against Zi Xuan's shoulder, who easily wrapped his arm around Yu Hao. They listened to about 30 minutes more worth of songs and preaches about Jesus being reborn, but neither man really cared. They were too infatuated with one another, too in love, to listen and to bother caring about Jesus or whatever the pastor was going on about.

The sermon ended and they all drove home. It was late, around eleven, so everyone was really tired.

And although Yu Hao was tired, he knew this was the last night Zi Xuan and him would sleep in Zi Xuan's childhood bedroom for a while.

So, yeah, he had plans that weren't sleeping.

A/N: after I publish the next chapter (it's a smut so get ready) I'll probably go on a week break since I have nothing else saved up to publish.

Thanks for reading!