Chapter 24: The Silver King

[GD]

I stare at the ceiling above us. Its white color reminding me that we're currently at the hospital. The person lying next me shifts, moving a bit to accomodate her petite body to mine.

"Do you want me to get off the bed?" I ask, sensing her discomfort. "This hospital bed is too small for the both of us."

"No." Dara shakes her head in protest. "I like your warmth."

I smile before pulling Dara closer towards me, hugging her. "I'm going to leave in a bit."

I feel Dara frowing on my chest. "Again?"

Dara has a rare sickness, forcing her to be admitted at a hospital for too long. This is practically her home now.

"Tell me the truth, Kwon Jiyong." Dara looks up to meet my gaze. "Are you cheating on your girlfriend?"

I laugh. "What? What makes you think that?" I lean down and give her a passionate kiss on her plump lips. "My heart only belongs to you and no one else's."

That makes her smile. Dara's face flushes red and that's only making her look more adorable but it suddenly turns into a frown.

"What's wrong?" I ask worriedly.

"Sometimes i can't help but wonder what it'll be like for you to have a normal girlfriend."

"Dara-ah—"

Dara reaches out to cover my mouth. "I know. You love me and i do too that's why you can't stop me from thinking about your own happiness."

I raise my hand to touch hers and try to remove it from my mouth. "And you, Dara is my happiness."

"And when i'm gone?" Dara asks, catching me off guard.

I grimace. I pull her hand towards my lips and kiss it. "I won't let that happen."

"But—"

"Shh." I pull her closer towards me. "Now, go back to sleep. I'll stay with you until you fall to sleep."

"Jiyong-ah." Dara whispers my name."

"Hmm?"

"Promise me something." Dara squirms under my arms, looking up to meet my eyes.

"What is it?" I ask, tilting my head on the other side.

"Whatever it is you're trying to accomplish for my sake, don't let it destroy your soul."

My soul huh? I just laugh to myself. I already sold my soul a long time ago the day i discovered Dara is sick.

You see, Dara and I are orphans. We grew up together in an orphanage and that place was also where we met the other members of my team. One night, we decided to escape and were successful in doing so. Once outside, we experienced the harsh reality of living in the city at such a young age. We tried to make a living in order to survive but that was when Dara's symptoms started to appear. We brought her to a hospital and discovered that he has a very rare sickness. The Head, Yang Hyunsuk who was coincidentally at that very same hospital offered us some help and i took it, feeling desperate. That's why i can't leave the Head's side. He saved not only me but also Dara.

After some time, I can finally feel Dara's steady breathing, indicating that she has already fallen into sleep. I carefully move Dara's hand which is on my chest and get out of bed. I reach out to get my jacket uniform which is hanging on a chair and wear it. I look back to check on Dara one last time before getting out of the hospital room.

"Done cuddling already?" Taeyang smirks.

"Shut up." I smile.

Taeyang laughs but soon replaces it with a frown. "Are we really doing this?"