Chapter 2

"And here's another treat for you all, I'm going to throw a party on Friday as a token of gratitude and appreciation for your new boss."

The claps and cheers continued while my hands hugged my self. At one moment I was happy about Mr Roosevelt resigning and at the next moment he crushed my happiness to prices after he announced that bastard as our boss. My boss?! Never!

How could I not know Mr Roosevelt was his uncle, he never even visited the office. I'm in no way working in this company now.

Everyone started leaving the room once he was done with his filthy announcements, calming down me a bit. Now I can peacefully sit in my cabin and type my resignation letter. I hurriedly ran to the door, my gaze still fixed on my feet.

"Hey Ms Davis, wait up!", Ohh, I so want to rip his tongue off! I stop in my tracks and slowly turn around to see his frowned face. "Where do you think you were going? Come over here." I swallow hard and slowly make my way to the devils.

"I-I was heading to my cabin, sir. I have some paperwork to do.", my head was still low. We were now standing just few inches away from each other. I still can't believe I'm breathing the same air as that prick after a peaceful year. Why doesn't my happiness last longer?

"You can do that later. Daniel, this is my secretary Lorraine Davis." No! No! No! My heart was hammering out of my chest and my palms were cold.

"I see. It's nice meeting you, Ms Davis.", he says in his deep voice which was once a melody to me. I lift my head to see him for the first time after all these months.

My heart skips a beat as it had few years ago when I laid my eyes upon him for the first time. His beautiful green eyes piercing into mine and to my soul, his lips which I loved to devour each time they said my name were curved into a small smile, that smile I was head over heels in love with. His brown hair perfectly curled back at the front, his soft cheeks and chiselled jaw covered in stubble over his creamy skin.

He looks as breathtaking as he did. But he seemed like he has lost weight. There were light brown bags under his eyes yet he looked so hot in his black suit still being so muscular.

"Stop drooling over him and focus!", Mr Roosevelt scowls snapping me out of my trance. I felt my cheeks heat and again the floor seemed more interesting to me.

"I-I....I'm s-sorry." Way to go Lorraine! You just got insulted in front of your ex!

"Whatever! You're his secretary from now on and I hope you'll keep up the same performance with your new boss. She's an efficient secretary, Dan. You won't have any problem with her.", he says tapping Daniel's shoulder.

"Of course. I look forward to work with her." He was looking at me with a smile on his face.

"Great! Well, then you may head back to your work and you'll have to report to him about his schedule from tomorrow." So he's going to join from tomorrow. I'll have to discuss this with Mr Roosevelt in private.

"Yes, sir." I turn on my heels without glancing at him and stomp out of the room. Once I got out of hell, I literally ran to my cabin.

"Oops! Looks like someone got in a major trouble.", Ed chuckled on the other side. If he were here right now, I would punch him on his face.

"Why does this happen with me? Look, there's no thinking twice, I'm resigning from this job today." I declare as I pace around my office.

"Honey, you can't just resign because that dick head is your boss now. Roosevelt Inc was the only reputed company with just one vacancy for the post of secretary. I've roamed almost whole city finding a suitable job for you."

"Ed, I didn't expect this from you. I would rather work as waitress in a hotel than as his secretary.", I say through gritted teeth.

"I know I must be sounding crazy right now, but if you leave this job he would think that you're hiding from him and you still have feelings for him. But you don't, so you don't have to feel uncomfortable around him because there's nothing between you two now."

I think of this for a moment. I guess he has a point. Why should I be nervous around him if I don't feel anything for him now?

"But what if tried to boss me around and insult me?" I will kill him if he does!

"He won't. Don't forget he's the one who hurt you and he's the one to be insulted. Stand for yourself if he says anything inappropriate. Even if he's your boss now, we know what his actual place is. Just think about mom, Lorraine. You know if I hadn't quit my job, I would've never let you work for that idiot."

Right, mom. I need to do this for her. I leave a deep breath thinking about her.

"Alright. I won't resign." For now at least! "How's mom?"

"Quite well. Remember she's so proud that her little girl is so good at her work." My lips tug into a smile and I relax at his encouraging words.

"Thanks Ed. I'll call you later. Take care of mom."

"Will do. Just call me if anything happens okay. Love you."

"Okay. Love you too." I hang up and get back to my work. Ed's words kept ringing in my mind. Him being my boss shouldn't bother me.

But he was your one true love. My conscience whispered. Even if I had moved on, there's a corner in my heart that still aches for him to love me again. I didn't even get into a relationship after he left me because some part of me was still waiting for him, waiting for him to be with me. That's how deep my love was for him. I wonder if I'd be able to hold back my tears whenever I look at him or think about our memories.