Green Eyes, White Lies ~ Ch. 13

I woke up on Stephanie's couch to the title screen of Pride and Prejudice. We much have both fallen asleep while watching it. As I sat up and stretched, I saw the blinking light on my phone. I grabbed it and flipped it open. Nine missed alerts, all from Jack. It was about 9:30 and Stephanie was still out, so I grabbed a coat and walked to the door to call him back from outside so I wouldn't wake her.

I unlatched the door and threw it open to find Jack standing there about to knock. He slowly put his hand down and looked at me. "You called?" I asked, trying to hold back tears.

"You didn't come home last night," he softly replied, "And you didn't pick up. I was worried."

"Well, you seemed pretty mad yesterday morning," I explained, looking down at my feet, "And you wouldn't answer my texts so I didn't think you'd want me there. How did you find me?"

"First I went to the hotel, but they said Ben checked out last night," Jack admitted, "So I called Monica. She said you weren't at the ranch but to check here." He paused, "Look Jenn."

"I'm sorry," I blurted out, interrupting him, "I should have never said I'd go on that date with him."

Jack smiled, "I was just about to say I was sorry. And I am. You were handling the situation how you thought best and I, well I got jealous."

"You didn't need to be," I softly sighed, "He realized that as long as you're around he's never going to win, so he left me. And it had to be that way. I'm so," I struggled for a word, "beneath him in his world that he couldn't accept me leaving him."

"I understand that now," Jack assured me as he lightly cupped my face, lifting my eyes to his, "I realized that too late yesterday. And you are never beneath him. Years from now he'll realize you're the one who got away."

"I was so worried when you left yesterday that I'd lost you forever," I admitted in a whisper, tears beginning to trickle down my cheeks.

"I was worried about the same thing when I came home," Jack smiled lovingly, "Coming home to no one never bothered me before." I wrapped my arms around him and he returned the gesture, pulling me close to him.

"Not quite what I expected to wake up to." We both looked over to see Stephanie smiling at us. "But can't say I'm not happy." We both laughed. "I'll just give you guys some space. Call me later, Jenn."

"Thanks Stephanie," I gratefully told her.

"No problem," she waved it off, before looking at Jack, "But it better not happen again," she warned.

"Trust me," Jack promised, "It won't." With that Stephanie walked back inside. "So," he turned to me, "I am going to take you home and then I am going to take you on a real prefect date."

"Oh really?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yes ma'am," he grinned. I couldn't help but laugh when he pulled that good ole boy thing.

"Someone's been watching Dukes of Hazzard reruns," I laughed, "But let's do it." He took my hand as we walked down the hall to the door.

"Nice dress," he shyly said.

"Thanks," I moved closer to him, "I made it myself."

* * *

"Are you going to tell me where we are going?" I asked in frustration.

"No," Jack laughed from his spot on the bed. He'd watched me rummage through the closet for the last twenty minutes.

"But if I don't know what we're doing, I don't know what to wear," I whined.