Chapter One

They looked like a couple out for an evening stroll, not that Jack would take Sue in that rough neighbourhood if he were given a choice to begin with. And since there were just so many times they could pace that alley before they attracted attention upon themselves, Jack led her behind a dumpster. He had a perfectly good backup plan in his mind in case people wondered what they were doing hidden from view.

They waited over an hour, during which nothing out of the ordinary happened, aside from spotting a few stray cats, and a homeless beggar who quickly sought refuge behind one of the dozen doors that lined the alley as the weather took a miserable turn for the worse. Jack was ready to leave when a back door opened and a shady character exited. Suddenly they were back on alert. They nicknamed the newcomer Smoky, for the cigarettes he lit up one after the other while pacing in front of the doorway. He was obviously waiting for someone, the agents concluded, as they saw him take yet another look at his watch. And that someone seemed fashionably late.

Jack doubted the individual was related to their case. Somehow he didn't fit the profile of an art or classified secrets smuggler. But either way, Jack didn't think that being seen leaving by Smoky was a safe option.

Smoky's cell phone rang loudly in the night, startling Jack. Sue pulled out her binoculars after Jack spelled 'phone' in her hand. Smoky was agitated, twitching around as he spoke, making Sue's task challenging. Jack watched her as she frowned, lines appearing on her forehead. She whispered words to Jack, frustration tangible in her voice. Jack regretted not having a camera handy. The man seemed very ordinary. No distinct features, no facial hair, medium height and built, he was wearing jeans, a dark leather jacket and a baseball cap lowered down, but his mouth remained perfectly visible when he was considerate enough to turn in their direction and not wander too far from the single light bulb over the door.

Jack processed the words Sue picked up. Late... supposed to meet... money... deal is... stupid enough to stash... It could mean anything, Jack reflected, from a drug deal gone sour to a blackmailing scam. Too dangerous... listen Soprano... FBI involved...

The conversation abruptly ended, but the last two words acting as a beacon.

Sue and Jack watched as Smoky walked away toward the street. Jack signed 'follow'.

***

His gloved hand turned his cell phone off, while he kept his eyes across the street from where he parked his black sedan. At any moment, he expected Nowen to exit the alley. After speaking on the phone with him, Nowen would never suspect his presence in the neighbourhood, and he would catch him off guard. Nowen was his only link to the botched operation, the only person who could identify his voice. He needed to protect his identity at any cost... but he also needed Nowen to provide him with the classified information.

Nowen was walking across the street, offering an easy target. No, he decided. At the moment, Nowen remained more valuable alive than dead. He saw Nowen turn left. He had no doubt Nowen was heading towards his favourite bar, The Drunken Cave, a few streets down. With the flick of the wrist he changed gears, ready to merge with the light traffic when movements in the alley caught his eyes.

He immediately recognised Hudson and Thomas as they emerged from the same alley than Nowen. They were scanning the street, while Hudson was talking on the phone, visibly searching for something or someone.

He grabbed the newspaper that was lying on the passenger seat expressly for that purpose, and hid behind it. He couldn't be seen. Were they tailing Nowen? Did they witness Nowen's end of their conversation? Did Hudson hear, or Thomas read? Cold sweat dripped down between his shoulder blades as he recalled the exchange. Was there any compromising information that was leaked?