Chapter Ten

Three days before Christmas, and Jack still couldn't think of a gift for Sue.

It would be their last trip in town, and he needed an excuse to be left shopping alone. After their grocery was done she asked to be dropped off at the library for an hour. She wanted to chat with the old man, and Chuck was more than happy to recall stories for her. Jack gladly obliged, and headed directly towards the electronic store afterwards.

"Mr. Johnson," greeted the young salesman. "Can I help you with something?"

"Yes, cell phones, cheap ones. The dog thinks it's a toy. The last one got chewed."

"Our cheapest." The salesman presented him a model. "It comes with $5 airtime."

"Can you wrap two? One for my wife as well."

"Of course, sir," he said, glad for additional sale. "Anything else? Additional airtime?"

"Of friend of mine has that gadget you connect to a phone, and the person beside you can read the conversation on a tiny screen," Jack said, playing dumb.

"Sure. They're very handy. Don't need to recall the whole conversation to your spouse." He showed Jack a small blackberry. "Not cheap though."

"I'll take it."

"Make sure you keep it away from the dog," he advised, ringing the purchases. "They are very easy to hook up, just follow the instructions. And if you have any problem, call me."

After one more stop, Jack met Sue at the library.

Chuck watched them leave. Fooling Matt Johnson wouldn't be that easy. He would need to carefully erase his trace.

***

"A nap or a walk," debated Sue after lunch.

She was staring outside through the living room window. It started snowing when they returned home, and the wind was no more than a light breeze at the moment.

She felt Jack's presence behind her even before he wrapped his arms around her. Her heart accelerated at the soft caress his lips bestowed on her neck. He took her a moment to realise Jack was signing to her using her own body as reference.

'Daydreaming?'

She could feel the tremor of his chest, a sure sign of his soft laughter.

"You're distracting, Jack Hudson," she replied huskily. "Did you choose nap or walk?" Not that she needed an answer to that question.

'Phone, walk, long nap', he signed.

She turned towards him. "What phone?"

"I got cell phones, sweetheart, to wish our families a Merry Christmas."

"Osborne will expect us to call, he'll be ready," she argued. "This is too dangerous, Jack."

"I agree we need to be extra careful. He will expect us to phone home at Christmas, and I intend to disappoint him. We're calling this afternoon, only one parent, at work."

It didn't take long for Jack to convince her, and the kiss he got an exchange of the blackberry made him consider skipping the walk.

Comfortably sitting in Jack's arms, Sue dialled her father's work number.

"What if he already left to go--" She paused when words appeared on the blackberry.

"Stephen Thomas."

"Dad? It's Sue."

"Suzie? What a wonderful surprise. How are you?"

"We're fine, and very happy," she assured him, one hand resting over her tummy.