Chapter Six

It was a very foggy morning, and it took Jack and Sue longer than usual to get to town. They needed grocery, and Sue was anxious to get the articles Rosie promised her. Disappointment was written all over her when they faced the CLOSED sign.

A few days after Sue met Rosie at the grocery store, they went to the library. Rosie apologised, she hadn't had time to retrieve the articles. Sue could tell the woman was preoccupied so she assured her they would be back a few days later. Only today the library was closed when according to the sign it should have been open.

"Would you know where Rosie is?" Sue inquired at the cash register as she paid for the food.

"No idea, darling. Are you still waiting to read about the ghost?" asked the friendly cashier.

"Yes," Sue admitted. "Do you think I should stop by Rosie's house?"

"It wouldn't do you any good, darling. She left with Richmond," the cashier confided. "For a three-day getaway, or at least that was what Rosie told her neighbour, four days ago. With that girl, who knows."

Jack was waiting for her by the car. He was holding a brand new disposable cell he just bought since they had no phone in the house. And his first call was to Greg, their realtor. Jack could see Sue's smile widening as she listened to one part of the conversation.

"We love the house, Greg. Yes. My wife and I might be interesting in buying," Jack said, figuring a little lie wouldn't hurt. "No, no ghost," he laughed. "Could you get us the history of the house? How it came to be built. You know. My wife wants to read about it." He winked at Sue. "Thank you. We'll see you."

They were both finding the tunnels as intriguing as the ghost. It seemed like nature carved them over centuries, except for the last ten feet directly under the house. After their romantic interlude in the cave the previous day, they finished mapping the tunnels adding one last cave, a smaller one near the opening.

They drove back from town carefully, the fog just as thick as it was when they left. Any hope of venturing underground died when they lifted the trap. A fine mist invaded the tunnels.

The fire was roaring in the bedroom. Sue was resting in his arms, her breathing lowly returning to normal. He caressed her damp skin, the flames giving it a golden glow. She was still intimately pressed against him, and he wondered if she could feel the furious beating of his heart. Her lips were brushing his neck, sending small electric discharge through his body. He cupped her head, lifting her head towards him. Passion filled eyes were gazing back at him.

"I love you," he whispered just for her.

"I love you too." Her fingers traced down his spine to the curvier part of his body.

"Time to sleep, sweetheart," he chuckled, pulling the blankets over them.

In his wildest dreams, he never imagined spending so many sleepless nights making passionate love to her. And as much as he wished he wasn't wanted for murder, he didn't mind staying in hiding and extending his honeymoon a little while longer.

At some unconscious level, Jack felt her leave the warmth of his arms. He woke up instantly, remembering too well the night she locked herself in the closet. Embers glowed weakly in the fireplace. He searched the room for her. She was standing by the window, staring at the sea. She wore the shirt he discarded earlier on the floor. After throwing another log in the fire, he approached her. She sensed his presence and leaned in his embrace.

"There is another cave we missed," she murmured, her voice eerie

He ran his fingers in her hair, his other hand seeking the texture of her skin under the silky fabric. She moaned softly and he took her back to bed. He kissed her deeply, tenderly. She responded, the dream slowly replaced by sensations only Jack could awaken.