Chapter Seven

The trip back with Levi was just as tiresome. Not wanting to be seen in any motel with a dog, they spent three days on the road taking turns driving back and forth. It didn't surprise Jack that Sue slept fourteen hours straight on their return since he did the same.

The bad flu she came down with the next day and that kept her in bed for the week wasn't unexpected either. Half the town seemed to have caught it. He spent that week fighting the same bug while taking care of her and Levi. He was grateful the dreams didn't disturb her while she was sick, but as soon as she began to feel better they returned with more clarity.

With Levi, they resumed their search for the elusive cave. Unfortunately, it still didn't yield any success.

Snow covered the ground, and big fluffy flurries were falling from the sky when they woke up.

"I think I would like a romantic walk in the woods, Jack," she said, her nose pressing against the cold window.

From the corner of her eyes she saw him throw a log in the fireplace before approaching her. His arms wrapped around her and she leaned contently in his embrace.

"Is that a yes?" she teased, only to squirm in his arms when his unshaved chin brushed her cheek in an up and down motion. "Jack!"

His chest trembled, indicating he was laughing.

"You better behave if you're planning on sharing my shower," she threatened.

In a smooth motion, he swirled her around. "And who would be washing your back if I don't join you, sweetheart?"

She traced his lips with her fingers. "You will know, honey, that I managed very well before you came into my life."

"But I'm sure it wasn't as enjoyable," he affirmed with confidence, before stealing another lingering good morning kiss. That shower might just have to wait a bit longer.

***

Levi ran in the snowy path, his prints mixing with the ones left by the wildlife living in the woods.

"Jack, what do you think those are?"

The prints were very similar to Levi's.

"Probably coyote, maybe fox."

"No wolf?"

"Not big enough, and we would hear the wolves at night, and those remind me of rabbits." He pointed to traces in the snow near a nearby tree. "My grandfather had a cottage in the woods and he took me there during the weekends in the winter," he said, recalling his childhood memories. "It was a magical time, almost as magical as the one we are living now." He rubbed his nose against hers and she smiled tenderly at him. "I love you, sweetheart."

"I love you, too," she repeated, leaning against him.

With rosy cheeks, they ran hand in hand the last hundred meters to the house. Rosie was waiting for them on the porch. She petted Levi, before greeting Becky and Matt.

"What brings you here, Rosie?" asked Jack, slightly out of breath.

"Would you come in?" offered Sue, playing the perfect hostess.

Jack made hot chocolate for the two women sitting around the kitchen table while they chatted.

"There was a time I knew those paths by heart," she confided, after telling them she used to bike through those woods when she was a teenager. "I stopped after the murder." Her gaze was fixed on the table. "You were very nice to me after Richmond dumped me, you took care of Grace," she said, changing the subject. "Anyway, I wanted to tell you Richmond called last night from prison. He said he was sorry for leaving me. Then the jerk had the nerve to ask me to lie for him and say he was with me in that shack after he abandoned me."