Chapter Four

Since they had five hours to kill before their departure, Jack took her for a ride around the bus station. A small sign in the window of a basement suite caught her eyes.

"Could we, Jack?" she asked, making a very good imitation of Levi.

"Sue, I mean it." He caressed her hair. "You are beautiful."

"And I think you're blind," she quipped. "But I love you even more for it."

"Come then." He led her inside.

"I'll be with you in a moment," a voice yelled from a back room, their presence announced by a bell when they pushed the door.

A thin man in tight jeans and light purple shirt came to greet them.

"Hello, my name is George. Oh my, chérie, what happened to you?" Taking Sue's hand, he guided her to his chair while shaking his head in dismay. "You fought with the scissors and they won?"

She thought she caught most of what he said through the mirror, and only nodded in defeat.

"I think MY WIFE did a very good job," Jack defended her, exaggerating her title, making sure she saw him.

"Of course." George winked suggestively at Jack. "But I will make it even better."

The hairdresser played in her hair, explaining the style he wanted to create, which drove Jack crazy.

"He's really adorable when he's steamed," George whispered to her. "He wouldn't happen to have a brother, would he?"

Sue burst out laughing.

"Does that mean I'm out of luck?"

"He has a single younger brother," Sue revealed.

"Really? I will give you a discount if you get me his number, chérie. Now stop laughing, you're making me all shaky," he cheerfully admonished her.

Jack raised his brow. He couldn't hear what they were saying, but he found that hairdresser too friendly for his taste. And the way George looked at him after whispering words to Sue was unsettling.

Once he was done, George moved the mirror around her head. "So, what do you think, chérie?"

"Perfect. Thank you." She was pleased George salvaged her botched attempt.

Jack smiled, not that he could see much of a difference. It was still shoulder length, a bit more layered maybe. But if it made Sue happy, he figured it was money well spent.

"What did he chat about?" he asked, possessively wrapping his arm around her waist while walking back to the car they needed to return shortly.

"You," she replied mischievously, waiting for a reaction.

"Me?"

"Yes, how the blond in your hair made such an exquisite contrast with your dark brown eyes." She bit her lower lips to refrain herself from smiling when he stared at her in disbelief. "He also suggested some curls." She ran her fingers into his short hair. "But I told him I didn't think you would go for it." She then burst out laughing at his horrified expression. "Don't worry, Jack, I told him you were mine, that he didn't stand a chance."

She placed a soft kiss on his lips before leaning her head against his shoulder.

He pulled her closer to him, shaking his head, a smile curling up his lips. They were together. And together they would make the best of their situation.

"I love you, sweetheart," he murmured against her hair.

***

Jack waited for the teller to print their tickets when he felt Sue's hand firmly grip his upper arm. He followed her gaze on the wall behind the young male employee. Underneath the title HAVE YOU SEEN THOSE PERSONS were pictures of people wanted in connection with various crimes.