Chapter Eleven

Over the holidays the dreams about the narrow tunnel haunted Sue's naps and her nights, and with each passing dream the light became brighter and brighter.

Beginning of January, they set an excursion. After packing some food and taking a blanket in case Sue wanted to rest, they ventured once more inside the tunnels. The cave with the drawings welcomed them, all warm and dry. The bicycle beckoned to Sue. Despite her best effort, she still didn't comprehend its signification. They easily climbed inside the narrow tunnel. Levi was ahead, followed by Jack, then Sue who was holding to his waist.

It was cold and damp. They walked for hours, taking small breaks. The tunnel was curving while gradually sloping down. They encountered no junction of any sort. After five hours Jack was ready to turn around when Sue pulled on his belt.

"Jack. Turn your lamp off," she asked, squeezing sideways beside him. "Over there."

In the darkness, a ray of light peered from ahead.

His hand trailed along her arm until he came in contact with her hand. 'G-O', he spelled in it.

"Of course."

He could detect amusement in her voice. Taking her hand in his, they advanced. The light became brighter and brighter until they faced an opening. They were staring at the light blue sky.

Both squinting after spending so much time in the semi-darkness, it took them a few minutes to fully register their location. They emerged from the other side of the inlet, almost at sea level. Snow partially covered the entrance. They pushed their way through the snow, and found themselves sheltered by huge rocks.

"WOW!" exclaimed Sue.

From across the body of water, the cliff near which their house was built faced them. A few feet down and they were on the beach, the water coming very close to their position. Jack indicated a gentle slope at the end of the beach that was leading to the top of the cliff. In the summer, it would make for a very nice walk back home, but with the snow he wouldn't take the chance of Sue and the baby being stranded in the cold.

"We could come back with the quad," she suggested, and he jumped on the idea.

Over the following weeks her dreams changed. She wasn't certain it was an effect of spending most of their days on the quad, discovering the woods and the beach, but she could see Krissa playing on the beach. If it was possible, her dream belly was even bigger as she kept rubbing it. The sky was always blue as she scanned the horizon. The ocean was calm, only small waves were splashing at Krissa's feet. Night after night, without any explanations, her gaze slowly shifted west. From the ocean, her eyes met the cliff, and from there she lifted her head and stared at the sky.

She gasped, and woke Jack instantly.

"Only a dream, sweetheart." He pulled her in his arms, caressing her hair and her back, knowing she could recognise his touch.

"He was there," she murmured eerily. "Over the cliff." Sighing, she cuddled against Jack, the memory quickly fading away.

As she dreamed more, she knew she would retain the images.

Jack held her closely while sleep claimed her once more. His hand came to rest over her tummy.

"Mommy is fine, little one," reassured Jack. "You go back to sleep," he whispered tenderly, looking forward to feel the little bump under the palm of his hand.

It shouldn't be long, he mused. Her pants were too tight already. They needed to go shopping before she got tired of wearing sweatpants all the time. For someone who dreaded shopping, he was looking forward to roaming the maternity section with her.