Chapter Two

Kirks POV

When Lars walked through the door I froze. I saw the prettiest girl. But, as I was looking at her I noticed she was staring at James in awe. I sighed but plastered on a smile anyways.

If she was going to make James happy, I was going to support it. James is never happy. So I wasn't going to interfere.

After we were all introduced, Nicole came and sat down with us to watch a movie. She sat beside James which I expected.

I didn't want to see them together so I walked to the kitchen to grab four beers. I assumed she didn't drink so I didn't grab her one. But the second I gave one to James she took it and took a large drink out of it. Leaving us all stunned.

"What? Never seen a girl who likes to drink before?" She asked. We all shook our heads.

"No actually, we haven't," I said and she laughed before taking another drink and finally giving James his beer back, he put his arm around her and she smiled a tiny bit. I ended up smiling too because she was going to make James happy and maybe, just maybe, she was going to fix him.

Nicole's POV

As the movie was nearing the end, I found myself falling asleep, I leaned more into James and he chuckled and pulled me closer to him.

Eventually I felt myself being picked up, and carried somewheres, I knew whoever was carrying me was going upstairs though.

I felt myself being set down on a soft surface, then warmth covered me. I snuggled into what I'm assuming was blankets, and shortly fell asleep.

*

I woke up and noticed someone standing by the door. I sat up and turned to them.

"Oh, hey Cliff, what's up?" I asked him. He shrugged and I laughed.

"Nicole. Please be careful with James. He's been hurt too much in his life," Cliff said to me. I nodded my head.

"I don't plan to hurt him. If anything I'll be the one who gets hurt. Trust me Cliff. It's always me. And, if any of you find out my secret. Not only will you hate me. You probably will try to send me away," I said to him. He looked a bit shocked.

"Trust me Nicole. We wouldn't send you away even if you've killed someone. We see how happy James is already and we can't take that away from him," Cliff said. I sighed. If only he knew.

"Thank You Cliff..." I said and got up and hugged him. He reminded me of my older brother. Darren. Fuck I missed them all so much!

"Anytime Nicole," Just then we heard a loud crash from downstairs. I raced down the stairs and found a seemingly drunken James. I sighed. But approached him anyways.

"Be careful Nicole..." Kirk said. I glared at him for a minute before walking right up to James. He looked at me and although his face showed anger, his eyes showed pain.

I put my hand on his arm, the other on his neck. I looked into his eyes and spoke. Softly and calmly.

"James, look at me. You need to calm down. Just relax. Please. For the sake of us," I said and he pulled me into a tight but loving hug. I sighed, hoping I got him back to normal. When we pulled away I looked at the guys.
They all looked so shocked.

"What?" I asked them as James grabbed my hand.

"How did you do that?" Lars asked me I shrugged.

"I don't know," I said blandly, and pulled James to the couch.

"Why do you drink so much?" I asked him.

"Reasons," he said. I sighed and flopped back against the couch

"Why do you?" His question surprised me.

"Reasons," I shot back at him and pulled my sleeves over my hands, hoping James didn't see, and got up from the couch and turned to the boys.

"Hey guys I think I'm gonna leave. I need to um. Check on something" I said and stood to leave. Lars nodded and Kirk spoke.

"Gotta make sure yer family is okay?" He asked and I tensed up.

"If only life were that simple..." I said and ran out the door. Once I reached my home I shut the door and slid down the wall and burst into tears.

Eleven fucking years later and I still can't handle this. I'm such a coward. James doesn't deserve a fuck up like me. No one does.

I wish I wasn't like this. I wish I didn't have to lie to everyone. I wish I didn't have secrets. I wish I didn't have to wear long sleeved shirts and jackets wherever I went. I wish I didn't have this life.

Cliff POV

I watched as Nicole left but I didn't go after her, I knew she would be back plus I knew she just wanted to be alone. Clearly.

James looked pissed once she left though and decided to take it out on Kirk.

"What the fuck? Obviously she didn't have to check on Family otherwise she would have said so!!" James shouted at Kirk.

"Hey I didn't know man! How was I supposed to? For all I know she has a perfect family!" Kirk shouted back.

"Clearly she doesn't otherwise she wouldn't have reacted the way she did!" James shouted, reached for his leather jacket, and stormed out of the house, slamming the door as he did so.

I walked over to Kirk and patted his back as did Lars.

"Don't worry man. James doesn't mean what he says half the time," I said to Kirk and Lars nodded.