Chapter 2: Just...Talking Quietly

Clem awoke, startled. She and Louis had fallen asleep together, against the tree.

          "Louis, wake up. How long were we asleep for?" she asked as she kissed his cheek.

          "Ughh... I have no idea. You were just so relaxing to sit next to that I dozed off," he replied.

          Clem looked up at the sky, trying to find the sun, but the trees were making it difficult to locate. "We'd better get back to the school. Everyone is going to think we're dead or something," she said. Louis stood and helped Clem to her feet. Her ankle was still in a fair amount of pain. She grimaced as she tried to put weight on it.

          "That shit is swollen to hell. Think you can walk? If I support you?" Louis asked.

          "I'll try, but it still hurts like a bitch," she answered. She tried to walk, but even with Louis supporting her weak side, it was still too much.

          "Yeah this is not going to work. Damnit," she said.

          "Here, put your arm around my shoulders," he instructed.

          Before she knew it, he had, quite literally, swept her off her feet. "Louis, you don't have to carry me all the way back. I can figure something out..." she said, blushing.

          "No. You don't need to put any weight on it. That'll only make it worse. Don't worry, a prince should always be willing to carry his princess," he said as he winked at her. She felt her face get even warmer.

          They slowly made their way back to the school. Clem kept her gazed fixed on him the entire length of the journey. She hadn't experienced these feelings before. "Is this what love feels like?" she asked herself.

          They eventually reached Ericson. A.J. saw that Clem was hurt and rushed over to them. "Clem! What happened? Are you okay?" he asked.

          Louis carried her over to the two couches in the courtyard and slowly laid her down. He took a seat on the opposite couch.

          "Yeah, I'm fine. Just twisted my ankle. Should have watched my damn step," she said. "Louis here carried me all the way back."

          A.J. hugged Louis. "Thank you, Louis. Thank you for taking care of Clem," he said.

          "No problem, little man. Isn't much beauty left in this world. Gotta protect what we still got, right?" He winked at Clem. A.J. hugged her. "I should have come with you. I could've helped. I'm sorry," he said, choking up.

          "Don't cry kiddo. I'm fine, honestly. Just in a little pain, but I'm fine," she said, trying to comfort him.

          Aasim walked up. "Where the hell were you? What happened? Did you catch anything? Damn, Clem. What happened to your ankle?"

          "Oh, now he cares about me," she thought.

          "1) We were at the hunting grounds, 2) There was a walker stuck in a trap. Clem twisted her ankle moving it, 3) No, we didn't catch a damn thing, 4) Already answered that," Louis answered.

          "What took you so long? Surely it didn't take about five hours to get back, even with Clem being hurt," Aasim asked, skeptical.

          "We may or may not have taken a little...beauty nap," Louis responded.

          "You did WHAT?! You could have both been killed. You know walkers don't think 'oh they're sleeping, let's not eat their faces off!'" Aasim yelled. "Be glad you guys got all of that food from the train station. Otherwise we'd be going hungry tonight," he said as he stormed away.

          "Whatever, man. Come on, Clem. I'll carry you to your room, so you can rest," said Louis. He lifted her up and carried her towards her room.

          "Clem, I'll be there in a second! Gonna finish my drawing with Tenn!" A.J. called. Clem smiled at him, and he ran back to Tenn. Louis carried her into the building.

          They entered her room, and he laid her carefully on her bed.

          "Let me know if you need anything. I'll be back to check on you in a bit," he said. As he was pulling away, Clem grabbed his arm and pulled him on to the bed. Their faces were only inches apart, eyes locked, breathing synced. The only sound was that of the creaking building. They remained like this for what felt like hours, each afraid to make a move. Clem, realizing she still had his arm, slowly leaned back against the wall. Louis followed her, but without stopping. Their noses brushed as his lips pressed softly against hers. They began kissing, slowly at first, with increasing passion. She felt his left hand grab her waist, pulling her body even closer to his. They were breathing heavily, the time between each breath getting shorter and shorter. 

          "Uh...guys...what are you doing..?"

          They both pulled away. Louis bumped his head on the top bunk. "Ow, damnit," he said.

          Clem looked at the door to find A.J. standing there, looking confused. "Oh we were just, um..." She didn't know what to say.

          "Yeah, anyways I'll be back to check on you soon, Clem. See ya," Louis said as he rushed out the door.

          "What was all of that about? What were you guys doing?" A.J. asked.

          "We were...just trying to talk REALLY quietly to each other," she said.

          "By touching lips? Isn't that called kissing?"

          "Well it depends. Hey," she noticed his drawing; "let me see what you drew!"

          A.J. handed her his drawing. It was of his dream. A crudely sketched A.J., killing crudely sketched walkers; a questionable Clem looking on. "Oh, wow. That's beautiful! You can hang it by the other one, if you want," she said.

          A.J. walked over to the wall where the other pictures were hanging. He pinned it up, right below his first drawing. He sat next to Clem and smiled at her. Before they could speak, Tenn burst through the door, a distraught look on his face.

          "Guys, come quick. It's Vi. She's been bitten..."