Chapter 6: I Love You

Clem slipped in and out of consciousness. The pain from her eye was unbearable, and each time she woke up, it would send her into another spell of darkness. Each time she came to, she could feel the pulsations, the blood pouring from the gashes across her face. She could hear the others, outnumbered and outgunned, trying desperately to fight off the raiders. She faded into blackness once more. When she finally awoke, she realized she was being carried. She panicked at first, thinking the raiders had captured her.

       "It's okay, Clem. I got you, don't worry," said a familiar voice. She looked up, with her left eye, to see Louis smiling down at her. "Damn. I think your modeling days are over... bad timing, sorry. We need to get you back so we can save that eye. Shit, that looks fucking painful. Can you try to open it at all?" he asked, looking very worried.

       "Ughhh... maybe. I can tr-... FUUUUUCK!" she screamed in agony.

       "Okay, okay. Don't make it any worse. We're almost back to the school," Louis said.

       "How's she doing?" Ruby asked. "And how are you doing with, well, THAT?"

       Clem opened her one good eye and saw that Louis had two gunshot wounds in his right arm. "L-Louis? H-how did that... are you okay?" she asked weakly.

       "Yeah, Clem. I'm okay, the bullets went straight through. Just need a little patch job and I'll be fine. Hopefully my adrenaline stays up til we get you back," he replied with a smile.

Ruby looked at Clem's horrifically shredded face. "Louis, do you think we'll be able to save her eye? That looks pretty fucked up."

"Honestly, I don't fucking know. Not exactly a trained eye surgeon," he responded.

Clem realized Aasim wasn't with them. "Where...where is Aasim? Did he...run back to warn the others?" she asked.

Ruby started to whimper. Louis looked sadly at Clem. "No. Aasim didn't make it. He was killed, shot right through the heart. Happened pretty early in the shitshow," he said.

       "God damnit. Aasim. I never got to tell him how I actually felt..." Ruby said, choking up.

       The trio reached the school. They rushed Clem to the infirmary. Violet was still on the bed, so Louis had to place Clem in the old chair and support her. Violet looked shocked.

       "Jesus, guys. What the fuck happened out there? Clem, what happened to your face?!" she asked in horror.

       "Long story, we'll tell you later. Okay. Louis let me bandage you first, since it'll be pretty quick," Ruby said, grabbing a roll of bandages. She wrapped up Louis' two wounds and turned her attention to Clem's eye. "Jesus. I really don't think there's anything we can do. We don't have the proper medical equipment, and even then, it would take a miracle," she said.

       "Well, should we at least clean it? Infection would be a shitty way to go out," Louis said worryingly.

       "I mean, we can try. But I doubt she'll be able to stay conscious for it. It's going to burn like hell fire," Ruby said, grabbing supplies to clean Clem's eye.

       "Well... this is gonna be amazing. Now I get to know what Kenny felt," Clem said.

       "Maybe we should take her to her room first. That way she can pass out on her bed," Ruby suggested. Louis lifted Clem off the chair, and they proceeded to her room. He laid her down and kissed her forehead. He stepped back, and Ruby put some rubbing alcohol on a rag.       

       "Okay, Clem, I'm not going to sugarcoat this. You will feel pain unlike any other, with it being your eye and all. You will probably pass out," Ruby said.

       "Well...let's get this...over with," Clem whispered. Louis took her hand and held it tightly.

       "Squeeze as hard as you need to, Clem. And just remember. I'm right here with you. You're going to be okay. I lo-... I won't leave your side," Louis said.

       Ruby began to clean Clem's wound. As she wiped with the cloth, bits of torn flesh stuck to the rags.

       Clem was experiencing a level of pain she never thought she'd ever encounter. "FUUUUUCKING FUCK, GODDAMNIT!" she howled. Her entire body was writhing from the immense pain. Ruby continued to clean the wretched injury. After about a minute, Clem finally gave in to the pain and blacked out.

       When she woke up, the entire right side of her face was throbbing. She had a bandage over her eye. She noticed Louis had moved the chair over to her bedside and was looking concerningly at her. He noticed that she was awake.

"Oh my god, Clem. You're awake! How do you feel? Do you need me to get you anything?" he asked with a twinkle in his eye.

"Ughhh... a kiss would be nice," she said, smiling a little.

"Oh, don't mind if I do!" he said, leaning in. He kissed her lips softly, and pecked her nose before sitting back.

She looked at him. He looked at her. Even though she still felt horrible, only one thing was on her mind. Only three words. She looked away, then back at him.

"Louis...I- I love you."