Chapter 3: Lefty

Clem limped slowly to the courtyard, A.J. following closely in case she needed help. Everyone was gathered around Violet, who was sitting on one of the couches. As Clem go closer, she could make out the distinct markings of a walker bite on Violet's right arm.

"GOD FUCKING DAMNIT!" Violet shouted. "Great, now I'm gonna fucking die. At least there wasn't much to live for anyway."

Aasim was very pale. "Is there anything we can do? Like, suck the venom out or something?"

"It's not a damn snake bite, Aasim," Ruby said, shaking her head.

Clem knew there was only one thing that could possibly work. She had seen Reggie from Carver's camp survive a bite by removing his arm. "I know the only thing that might keep you alive, Vi. But you aren't going to like it, and there's no guarantee..." she said.

"What? Why do I feel like it's gonna be a fucking pain?" Violet asked, skeptical.

"We have to act fast. If we cut your arm off, about here..." Clem pointed to a spot just below Violet's shoulder, "we might be able to stop the spread of the infection before it reaches your brain."

"Cut my arm off? Clem are you fucking high? Did you find some weed somewhere on your little hunting trip with Louis?" Violet scoffed.

"No. I'm being completely serious. We cut it off, or you die. And you surviving is probably still a fifty-fifty shot," Clem responded.

"Come on, Vi. Clem's right, it's probably the only thing we can do. We have to try," said Louis. "Man, this day has been full of shitty situations and injuries, huh?"

"Damnit, Louis. Now is not the time for fucking jokes!" Aasim barked.

"All right, all right. Damn. I was just trying to lighten the situation. Sorry," Louis responded.

Violet looked down at her bite. "Well, fuck it. If it's all we can do, cut it off. Gonna have to learn to fight with my left hand now, fucking figures."

"Are you sure? Once we start, there's no going back. And it'll hurt. Like a shit ton," said Clem.

"Yeah, I'm sure. Not really ready to die yet. Who wants to do it, though?" Violet asked.

Everyone looked at each other. No one had even seen a limb cut off before. Eventually, all eyes fell on Clem.

"Clem, you're the only one who remotely knows anything about this. You should be the one to do it," said Aasim.

"What? Hell no. My ankle is already fucked as it as, in case you forgot," she said.

"Last time I checked, you don't use your foot to swing an axe," Violet said. "Come on Clem. You have to do it. I don't trust anyone else to."

Clem looked at everyone. They were all looking expectantly back at her. She realized she had no choice. Either she cut off the arm, or Violet would die. She picked up the cleaver and weighed it in her hand.

"Okay. I'll do it... let's take her inside first. Do you guys have somewhere you keep any medical supplies?" she asked.

"Yeah, the school's old infirmary. We don't have much in the way of supplies, but it's probably the cleanest room, and there's a table to...operate," said Aasim, still pale from the shock.

Clem looked at Louis. "Mind, uh, ya know? Helping me to the infirmary. Took all I had just to get out here from my room."

"Sure thing," Louis responded as he lifted her up. "All right guys. Let's get this done."