Chapter 14: Where We First Met

"...Louis...no."

Clementine watched his hand hit the bed. Everything slowed. Time felt as though it had stopped dead in its tracks. Tears were pouring down her face. A.J. tried to hug her, but she just shrunk away. She was in such shock that she didn't hear Ruby enter the room.

"Clem! Louis! Oh my god! Clem, snap out of it. Let me check him!" Ruby ordered.

Clem, face covered in tears, knelt down beside Louis, his motionless face inches from hers. Ruby began examining him. Clem was beginning to lose hope.

"Ruby," she sniffed, "I don't think it's-"

"Nuh uh, honey. I don't wanna hear that shit," Ruby scolded. "We keep tryin', can't give up hope ju-" She was cut off as Louis coughed. "Okay, Clem. Back up, give him space. Let 'em catch his breath."

Louis ceased coughing and looked around, confused. Clem was still crying, but these were tears of the utmost joy.

"Uhh...what...what happened? I thought I was dead," he said weakly.

"Well, sugar. You weren't dead. Just unconscious, again," Ruby answered.

"C-Clem? I- I love you. I can't believe I thought- Like what the fuck," he said, smiling slightly.

Clem couldn't hold back any longer. She hugged him as tight as she could and showered him with kisses. "Louis...I thought you were gone forever. I was so scared. I love you so much. I'm not leaving your side, ever."

"Clem, you can stay, but let him rest. His body has experienced enough shock for a lifetime, all in a couple days. You look like you could use some rest, too," Ruby said. "I'll bring y'all some water."

Clem kissed Louis' forehead one more time and reluctantly sat down on the opposite bunk. A.J. joined her and held her hand in comfort. She kept her gaze fixed on Louis, not breaking her stare for anything. She had almost lost the most important person in her life (not named A.J., of course). She couldn't handle any more heartbreak.

Clem continued to watch over Louis as he healed. He made great progress and was soon up and moving around. They grew even closer over that time, telling each other about their life before the apocalypse, and what their ultimate goal was in this dark world. Louis, in spite of his "live in the moment" attitude wanted to start a family.

"Yeah, I mean I know people say it's selfish. But if you get in the right situation, why not? Also, been waiting for the perfect girl. Now I've got her."

"Aww. Well, maybe one day that'll be us. A family."

"Wouldn't have it any other way. I love you, Clementine, my darling. I will always love you. I know this is kinda looking pretty far ahead but...I hope we both go out together. Peacefully, of course. Like in old age. That would be perfect."

Clem looked down. "It would be, but you know as well as I do. Things just don't happen like that in this world. People die so unexpectedly. So quickly. It's just not logical. But yes, if I had to choose, it'd be going out together. Old age or not. I love you, Louis." She kissed him and put her head on his shoulder. He began to sing.

"Oh my darlin', oh my darlin', oh my darlin' Clementine... hey. Let's remix it a little, huh? Oh my darlin', oh my darlin', oh my darlin' Clementine. You are loved and mine forever..."

A month passed. Louis was almost fully healed, and all was quiet around the school. There had been quite a bit less walker activity, so everyone's guard was relatively low. One night, Louis was working with Clem on the piano. She was learning to play "Mary Had a Little Lamb."