Chapter 12: Gunshot Wounds

A chill trickled down Clementine's spine, rendering her motionless. She knew that voice all too well. It wasn't the voice she'd expected to hear, however. "Why? Why are you doing this?" she asked them.

"Well. I want you, and Louis is just standing in my way," they said coldly.

Clem turned to face them. "Violet. I never thought you were capable of this. Posing as Jay? What the fuck are you trying to accomplish? Making me kill Louis won't magically turn me your way! I ought to kill you for putting us through this. Now, where the hell is A.J.!?"

Violet, armed with a pistol, scowled. "Clem. You kill Louis, or A.J. will die. That was true. Now, go on. This is my favorite part."

Clem glared at Violet. She looked down at her knife and weighed it in her hand. She peered at Violet's gun. "I'm going to ask again, for the last time. Where. Is. A.J.?" she demanded.

"I'll tell you, right after you finish your task. Then we can go 'rescue' him together," Violet said, smirking. "Now. Kill him!"

Clem turned to Louis and gently touched his shoulder. She put her knife to his jugular. She then spun around rapidly and launched the knife at Violet, striking her right leg.

Violet screamed in pain and rage and took aim at Clem. Clem heard the gun fire and saw Louis jump in front of her, taking the bullet in his stomach. He fell, motionless. Clem looked at his limp body, horrified.

"No...Louis..." she whispered, fury building within her. She let out a howl and charged at Violet, who was trying to remove the knife from her leg. She tackled Violet, sending the gun flying, and ripped the knife gruesomely from her leg. Violet let out a shriek of pain. She raised the knife above Violet's head. "Any last words? Because this ends here. You've gone over the fucking edge!" she yelled.

"Yeah...good luck...finding A.J. And you're welcome. Louis wasn't...good enough for y-." She was cut off as Clem drove the knife straight through her heart, then her skull. Clem threw the knife to the side and ran over to Louis, still motionless. She looked on, searching for any sign of life. She held her head to his chest and heard a faint heartbeat. She felt his chest weakly rising and falling. He was still alive, but she didn't have much time.

She dragged him the entire way back to the school, his breathing growing ever so light. Ruby and Tenn notice her outside the gate. They rushed over and helped Clem get Louis to the infirmary. "What the hell happened? Did you meet Jay?" Ruby asked, in shock.

Clem was exhausted. "N...no. It wasn't Jay. It...it was Vi. She's dead," she said.

They put Louis on the bed in the infirmary. "We can talk about that later, Ruby. Right now we need to help Louis. What can we do? I can't fucking lose him..." Clem said, tailing off to a whisper.

"Well, the bullet is still in there. I need to try and get it out. Luckily, he's not conscious right now. That'll make it easier. Tenn, hand me the bottle of alcohol and those tongs." Ruby dipped the tongs in the alcohol and went to work on the bullet. "Clem, go wait outside. I need to focus. Tenn will stay to help me."

Clem reluctantly walked into the old hallway. She felt so stupid for killing Violet out of rage. Now, she could lose Louis and A.J. if she couldn't find him. She leaned against the wall and slid down until she was seated on the floor. She put her head in her hands and started crying. She sat there for a couple of hours. She didn't move until she heard Ruby open the door.

"Clem. You can come in. I think he's going to be okay. I got the bullet out and cleaned and bandaged as best as I could. It'll be a while before he can do any strenuous activities. He's still out right now, but you can be with him for when he wakes up, if you want," Ruby said sympathetically.

Clem stood up and nodded. "Thanks, Ruby. But I still need to find A.J. That's my priority right now." She checked Violet's room. She heard a noise coming from the closet. When she opened the door, A.J. came tumbling out, his mouth taped and hands and feet bound. Clem untied him and carefully pulled the tape off.

"Clem!" he yelled as he hugged her. "I thought Violet was going to kill me!"

Clem hugged him and a tear rolled down her cheek. "It's okay, goofball. We won't have to worry about her anymore. You're safe."

"What do you mean? Is she dead? Did you kill her?"

"Um...yes. I did. She shot Louis, so I killed her. It had to be done, she was a threat to the group."

"Wait, she shot your boyfriend? Is he okay? Can we go see him?"

"Yes, yes, and yes we can."

The pair made their way to the infirmary. When Clem opened the door, a look of horror covered her face. Louis was no where to be seen.

"Louis! Where are you?"

*Thanks to everyone for waiting patiently for this chapter. I know it's shorter, but I've had a lot going on this week and wanted to get you guys something out to read. And a little announcement: For anyone who doesn't already know, I plan on writing a sequel once this book/story is finished! As always, Stay Classy.       -Trey