Chapter 9: Well, Shall We?

Two weeks passed. Clementine hadn't spoken to Louis since the night Jay advanced on her. She had all but given up hope for their relationship. Her eye was healing quite well, considering the circumstances. It was no longer bandaged, but there was a nasty scar, and it was covered in a grey haze. She had lost all sight in it, but at least she was still alive. However, she recently had been wishing the raider's blow would have killed her. She had beaten herself up mentally the last two weeks.

         It was a regular day at the school. Everyone was occupied with the routinely performed tasks. Clem was attempting to teach A.J. how to shoot a bow. He took a shot at the target hanging from the tree near the cellar door and missed quite badly.

         "Fu-...I mean shoot. Clem, why can't I hit it? It shouldn't be this hard."

         "Well, it's not something you just pick up and BAM, you're hitting every shot. It takes practice. Okay, line the next one up. That's good," she said as she adjusted his right elbow. "Keep that elbow as straight as possible. It'll improve your accuracy a lot."

         A.J. took the shot and hit the target dead center. Bullseye. "Look, Clem! I did it!" he cheered.

         "Wow, nice one! I think that's enough practice for today. You can go see what Tenn is up to, if you want. I need to...take care of something," she said.

         As A.J. scampered away to find Tenn, Clem scanned the courtyard in search of Louis. She figured she might as well try to save their relationship one final time before moving on. As she continued searching, she approached Ruby. "Hey, Ruby. Have you seen Louis? I figured he and Mitch would be back already."

         "Nah, sugar. I haven't seen 'em. Actually, speakin' of Louis," she said as she pointed at the gate. Louis and Mitch were just returning from their fruitless hunting and scavenging trip. Clem strolled over to the pair.

         "Hey, uh, Louis? Can we go for a walk?  I need to talk to you," she said timidly.

         Louis looked indifferent. "Sure, I guess," he said with a dryness that would make the Mojave Desert look like paradise.

         They exited the courtyard through the gate and started walking through the quiet forest. Clem hadn't felt this nervous in quite some time. She peered up at Louis, his gaze fixed straight ahead.

         "So, Louis. About the night that Jay and I..." she began.

         Louis glared at her, sending shivers all through her body. "What about IT?" he asked irritably.

         Clem was already beginning to have doubts. "Well, I just wanted to say...look. I am so sorry. At first, I didn't want to. I don't think I ever truly wanted to. I know that doesn't make it any better but, I'm sorry..."

         "Is this supposed to make me fucking feel better, Clem? You think you can go do that shit with anyone you want, and just come running back to me when something goes wrong? No fucking thanks. All that 'I'm only yours' talk was just that, huh? Talk."

         Clem was scrambling to find the right words. "No! That's not at all what I think. I think I love you, no I KNOW I love you. And I royally fucked up. You deserve to be mad at me. I know I will probably never earn your full trust back. But I'm asking you to please let me try! I want to be with YOU. I want you. In more ways than you realize..."

         Louis looked at her. He shook his head. "I can't believe I'm doing this. Okay, Clem. I forgive you."

         Before he had time to take another breath, Clem grabbed him and pulled him to her. They were silent, staring deeply into each other's eyes. She reached up and kissed him, and he returned the favor and then some. Before she knew it, he had her lying on the ground, hovering over her. He started at her nose, working his way to her neck, kissing her with such passion. Her breathing increased, her heart beating faster and faster. He continued to kiss her lower and lower until he reached the top of her shirt. As a tease, he remained there for a second before working back up to her neck. Clem felt his hand on her inner thigh, and felt it run slowly up to her waistline. She felt him wrestling with her pants' button and reached down to grab his hand.

         "Not yet. Save it for tonight. After dinner. You can give me that 'piano lesson,'" she said, placing her hand below his belt and giving him "the look." He smiled back and winked at her.

         "Yes MA'AM!" he said with a smooth tone. 

         He kissed her one final time, stood up, and helped her to her feet. She took his hand and they walked back to the school. When they reached the school, Ruby noticed that they were laughing and holding hands. "Well, looks like ya'll figured things out, huh? Good. I'm happy for you. Wow, Clem. I haven't seen you smile like that ever."

         Clem was beaming. She couldn't stop grinning from ear to ear. "I haven't been this happy in a long, long time," she said through the smile.

         She and Louis spent the rest of the day glued to each other. They were completely and totally inseparable.

Everyone gathered for the usual dinner. After they ate, she and Louis made their way to the room housing the piano. Louis lit the candles that were set on the old piano, and Clem closed and locked the giant wooden doors. He sat on the bench, and she followed suit. They sat motionless, gazing into each other's eyes for what felt like an eternity.

"Well. Shall we take the plunge?"