Chapter 17 - A Red Dress (Feb 22)

The next morning Zoya dreaded making the call she had been putting off for days now- calling her family and telling them the truth. They didn't even know that she was in India. She had been so caught up ever since the visit at Mahi's Dublin house that she hardly had the time or energy or calmness to call her family.

She decided to slightly alter the truth- about why they broke-up. If her family especially her father found out, he would destroy Yash. And as satisfying as it may be, she didn't want anyone else fighting her battles. Not anymore.

With shaky fingers, she dialed her father's cellphone. The call was received after 2 rings. She took a deep breath, "Hi Abbu."

The call with her family went better than expected. They were confused first and then angry that she didn't inform them about coming back to India. Worry quickly replaced anger when she told them of her break-up. On being asked the reason, she said she didn't want to talk about it, only that Yash and her were not compatible. Her family respected her privacy and let the topic go.

Wasim and Roshana, as expected, told her that they were coming to Mumbai the next day. Explaining why and how she landed up in Mumbai was tricky. She didn't know how to factor that in without telling about Yash's cheating.

Again, banking on her parents' agreement on not pushing her to reveal, she said that she was with a friend who had helped her, referring to Aditya. Her parents were taken aback because Zoya hardly ever spoke to anyone outside the family. Yet, at the end, all they cared about was that she was fine.

She had skipped so many parts of her break-up story that it felt like a puzzle to her family. As per them, she went to Dublin with Yash, stayed there for few days, found out that due to some reason they were not compatible, met a friend in Dublin and came to India with his help. It was too contrived but they reluctantly agreed. Her parents kept asking her if Yash had hurt her, mentally or physically. She answered each of their queries as honestly as she could.

She could now understand why Aditya, even after 2 years, had not told anyone the real reason about why he left Pooja. A part of him, she assumed just like her, may have been angry with himself for not being able to gauge the true feelings of someone they were in love with. Another part, wanted to keep the pain to themselves- for fear of not burdening anyone else with it.

But she had Aditya to help. He, on the other hand, was alone.

She went down to the drawing room to let Aditya know that her parents were coming tomorrow. She found Anjana with Aditya. He seemed relieved when she let him know that now her family was in the loop.

"Give me your parents flight details and I will send the chauffeur to pick them up from the airport tomorrow," Anjana suggested.

"I don't think that would be necessary," Zoya politely declined, "You all have done so much for me. I wouldn't want to impose any more."

"It's not an imposition," Anjana smiled, "I am just glad I got to meet Adi's-" she paused for a second, giving Aditya a sideway glance, "... friend. Adi's friend."

Zoya noticed Aditya slightly shaking his head at his mother at the mention of "friend." Something was going on between them regarding her.

"What are your plans for the day?" Anjana inquired.

Zoya shrugged her shoulder, "Nothing."

"In that case you should come to this charity ball my friend and I are organizing tonight," Anjana offered. "The proceeds will be given to an NGO. You should come along."

"A ball?" Zoya asked. That sounded too fancy. "I am afraid I don't have the proper attire to attend any gala." She had only casuals and woolens with her.