Chapter 21 - A Meal for Two (Apr)

At noon the next day, Zoya went to Aditya's cottage. She found out from the resort manager, earlier in the morning, that Arjun had gone out for the day and Aditya was alone. She figured it was a good chance to clarify about last night.

She had spent a sleepless night going over each detail from the last couple of days. She replayed Aditya asking her out and then the dinner. The more she thought about it, the more she realized that she might have been mistaken. Maybe Noor was right... the thought led to fluttery feeling in her stomach.

And when morning was upon her, she decided she should talk to Aditya. This game of back and forth dual-meaning sentences that they seemed to be playing, needed a conclusion.

And so mustering her courage, and loaded with an excuse, she made her way to his cottage. With every step she took, her courage seemed to diminish more and more. She had set out to ask him upfront if last night was a date. As she pressed the doorbell of the cottage, she gulped and realized it was going to be difficult.

Whether he liked her or not, was something she needed to know but to her, this friendship that they had was important. She didn't want to risk losing it by putting him in a spot. What if he was simply being friendly? What if, after she made her feelings apparent, he would back out?

The thoughts jumbled more and more in her mind and when Aditya opened the door and looked at her in surprise, she knew she wouldn't be able to ask him anything. All her resolve from the morning has vaporized.

"Hi," he said, unable to mask the surprise in his voice, "What are you doing here?"

She lifted her hands and showed him two bags of grocery and vegetables. That was her excuse of visiting him. "I thought we could have lunch together."

He stepped aside to let her in.

----------

Aditya took the bags from her hand and put them on the kitchen slab. "You want me to cook?" He questioned, peering inside the bags, taking stock of the raw vegetables.

Zoya shook her head, "You've cooked for me once, in Ireland. I figured it was my turn."

He raised his eyebrows, "You've learnt how to cook?"

"Yes," she replied. "And I am going to make lunch and you can see for yourself."

He smiled and nodded. "Oh it's just you and me. Arjun's gone out so you don't have to cook for him."

"I know." She replied instantaneously and suddenly stopped.

Aditya wouldn't have noticed anything unusual if she hadn't reacted this way. "You know he is not here?"

"Ermm..." she muttered looking around, "Yeah... the receptionist told me while I was coming in." then added, "Just now."

"Oh. Okay." He replied noticing that Zoya looked as if she had been caught in a lie.

He shrugged the thought away as she focused her attention to prepping the meal. She opened a wooden cupboard to take out utensils and tied her loose hair in a bun.

He leant against the doorframe and observed her fidgeting around in the small kitchenette.

"What?" her voice drew him out of his stance and he realized he was staring at her.

"Ah..." he began, "I was just thinking how much you've changed... from getting involved in the business to cooking..."

"I was such so helpless in Ireland, weren't I?" she remarked while emptying the bag with vegetables, "I didn't know anything. I now understand how annoyed you must have been with me."