Chapter 1: Bleed bitch, bleed!

I had been unhappy for months. So, why did I stay? I had always craved this level of comfort with someone, or at least as long as I could remember.

I sat in the parking lot of my job. I am a second grade school teacher at a local Detroit elementary school. I am in my car, not wanting to go home. Just then, my phone rang. I glanced over at the dashboard where my phone was mounted to see who it was. It was Michael. I rolled my eyes. If i didn't answer, this would surely cause a fight. So I picked up, against my better judgment.

"Yes babe?" I answered. "Where are you?" Michael replied. I could tell he was annoyed. "I'm just leaving school now." I lied. "Okay, well, what's for dinner?" I couldn't believe he was asking me this. I got up everyday and went to work. While I loved my job, and it's not like it was hard work, he sits at home every day collecting disability. He was injured at an old job before I met him, which I still don't know what that job was. And we've been dating for 3 years. "I don't know," I finally replied. "I'll be home in about twenty minutes." I didn't wait for a "bye", "I love you", or even an "okay", I just hung up.

Today was different. School was going as fine as it usually did. All the students were pretty well behaved. Maybe it was just time for my period. But tonight, going home felt unusual. The whole drive I was tense. When i pulled up to our apartment in the next town over I felt butterflies, and not because I was happy to see my boyfriend. Then I felt the blood rush to my face. I got out of the car and he met me at the door. "Hey baby, how was your day?" he asked me. He must have noticed the expression on my face because he wasn't annoyed anymore. "Fine." I answered, short and flat. I walked past him and sat on the couch.

"Is something bothering you?" Michael asked me. He now had a look of concern on his face. For a brief second, I began to feel guilty for the attitude I was copping. But when I looked at his face, I suddenly dint feel bad anymore. I knew what I wanted to do, and why this day felt so different. "Michael, I cant do this anymore." I said, surprisingly calm. For a minute he didn't say anything. I had to look back at him because his pause was beginning to feel extremely calm. I sighed, and continued. "I'm just not happy anymore. It's showing at work, people notice. I just cant take being controlled anymore." He made eye contact with me and yelled "CONTROLLED?! REALLY?!" I had never heard him yell at me before. "Yes Michael, controlled!" I yelled back, although nowhere near as loudly. "I am never allowed to do anything without your permission or you calling me every hour. It's not worth it! On top of the fact that I pay all the bills and keep this place clean with little to no help."

To be honest, this is the part of the fight where i tuned him out. There was more yelling I'm sure. But i had already made up my mind from the moment I left the school parking lot. I went to our closet and got out my suitcase. I put as many clothes and necessities as i could fit in it. I did all this while Michael continued to yell. Then, I put my key to the apartment on the counter in front of him. I gathered up my bags and went out to my car. On the short walk there i dialed my best friend Melissa's number. She and I were roommates before i moved in with Michael and i knew she would be more than willing to have me back in my old room.

"Hello?" she answered. "Melissa?" i asked, "I hope my old room is still empty because i am going to need it." There was a brief pause that she more than likely added for dramatic effect, she did this often. "OF COURSE!" she yelled enthusiastically. "Wait, does this mean you dumped that loser?" she asked, she didn't like Michael very much. "Yes," i replied "I finally did. I'll be there soon." As i pulled out of the parking lot I'm pretty sure I heard him yell after me "YOU'LL NEVER FIND ANYONE WHO LOVES YOU LIKE I DID!!!" Once the apartment was completley out of sight, I instantly felt my shoulders relax and my grip on the steering wheel loosen. It was then i knew that i had made the right decision.