Chapter 7: I just drank a fifth of vodka, dare me to drive?

AN: This chapter contains violence. Its also sort of emotional, so you've been warned. I've also been editing as I post, so there should be fewer spelling and grammar mistakes going forward. Thanks for reading :)

"Michael, what do you want?" I asked him again. He looked me right in my eyes, "You." he slurred. He stumbled again, putting his other hand on the door frame to stable himself. "You know that's not an option." I replied. I was scared, so I was trying to be stern, so he would take me seriously. Me and Michael had drunk together once. But he didn't get anywhere as drunk as he is right now. Melissa must have been able to tell I was afraid because at that moment she said "Why don't you just go home? Can't you tell you're not wanted here?". It wasn't often Melissa got angry, but she was angry right now and it was clear she wasn't trying to hide it.

I had never seen Michael's face change so quickly. It went from sad and pitiful, to straight up angry in two seconds flat. He looked right at Melissa and they glared at each other for a few moments. I never knew Michael to be an angry or violent person, so when he pulled out a large knife, needless to say I was shocked. He pulled it without breaking his lock on Melissa. Then he yelled "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" looking at both of us. Melissa wasn't afraid, but I was petrified. She kept an aluminum baseball bat by the door just for something like this. She went to reach for it, but since Michael couldn't see what she was reaching for he swung at her, knocking her onto the floor. She jumped up quick, and charged at him, but instead of returning the blow, she slammed the door in his face. She secured the chain lock and took a deep breath. I began crying and she shook me by my shoulders yelling "no, no, no, we don't have time for you to lose it right now." I knew she was right, so I attempted to take some slow breaths and try to regain my composure.

She headed towards her room to grab her phone when the front door burst open. The only thing I could think, the thing keeping me from losing my cool, was there was no way he would hurt me or Melissa. He knew how important she was to me, there was no way he would ever do something so stupid. So, without any other reasoning running through my head I jumped in front of him. "Michael, please!" I pleaded him, "Stop! You know this isn't who you are!" I scanned his face with my eyes, looking for any sign that the Bruce Banner inside the Hulk that was standing in front of me heard what I was saying. But in a split second, he reared back and punched me in the face. His fist landed on my right cheekbone, where my nose met my cheek. The impact was so much, and so unexpected, that it knocked me backwards onto the couch behind me. All I could do was scream as bright red blood poured from my face onto Marshall's clean white tank top I was still wearing. All I could feel was pain radiating from my nose outward. All I could taste was blood.

Melissa charged towards him again. But before she had a chance to land a single punch, he re-pulled his knife and forcefully stabbed it into her abdomen. At that moment, adrenaline rushed through my body. I ran to her side just in time to catch her as she landed in a heap onto the living room floor. Her shirt began to change color as blood began seeping from her now open wound. Michael immediately sobered up as the realization of what he had just done hit him like a ton of bricks. "I- I-..." he began to say, "YOU STABBED HER!" I yelled over him. "Why would you do that?! Do you honestly think something like this is going to win me back?!" I felt the urge to cry, as tears formed in my eyes and blurred my vision. "You better stay right fucking there." I said to him, "I'm calling the police and your ass is going to jail." He began to cry. I finally looked down to check on Melissa. I'll never know what she was trying to say, but I hushed her. At least she was alert, for the moment. "Stay with me Melissa." I began, "I promise you're going to be ok." I left her side for a few seconds long enough to grab my phone to call 911. I sat down next to her, holding her head in my lap until first responders arrived. I heard sirens before I hung up with the dispatcher.