Chapter 3: It's enough to make me wonder what's in store for us

The drive home was lost in thought. I thought about the events that had just occurred and if he went home thinking of everything like i did. But i quickly reminded myself that he probably had hit on a few other teachers while waiting for me, if i was even the one he was waiting for.

My recently ended relationship had left me sort of bitter towards the male species. He was my third serious relationship in my life, but it was also the longest. When we met his charm is what drew me in. The only reason i even gave him my number was because he used a completely ridiculous but also hilarious pick up line on me. He usually always kept me laughing. I realized though, especially in the last six months that he had become comfortable and the hopes of marriage were decreasing with each passing day.

I'm not sure how long i had been sitting in out parking lot. My face was wet with tears though. I checked in my visor mirror and i had indeed been crying. When did that happen? Just then my phone rang. I glanced over at it and it was Melissa. I wiped my face and cleared my throat before answering her. "Hello?" I answered. "What the hell are you doing?" Melissa replied, "You've been home for ten minutes." She waited for my response but i didn't want to speak due to the lump forming in my throat. "'Rissa?" she asked, concern in her voice. I couldn't hold back anymore and began hysterically crying. "Okay, okay, I'm coming." she said and she hung up. Not even a minute later she was opening the door to my car and taking me by the hand inside. She hugged me and i continued crying. She didn't even know about Marshall yet, which wasn't the reason i was crying.

I finally looked at her. "I'm such a fucking idiot." i said. "Nah, it's not that bad." Melissa replied. "What did you do to make you think that?" I shot her a look. "Nothing!" i said. "I guess i just kind of miss Mic--" She cut me off, "NO!" she yelled, "No you don't. He was horrible to you. He took advantage of you and your caring nature." She finished."You miss who he used to be, who you thought he was. And maybe his company. But you Marissa Weddington, do NOT miss him." I looked at her. I was pretty sure she was right. I know deep down inside i deserved better. "Thanks," i said, feeling a little better. "I think i needed that." "That's what best friends are for." Melissa replied. "Now, whats got you in this funk anyways?"

I told her everything. I did my best to describe the moment Marshall and I had at the assembly. I attempted to explain how obvious it was that he saw me and everyone in the room noticed. It really did feel like we were the only two there. Then i told her about the parking lot and how he approached me. I reluctantly told her how i gave him my number , even though i was newly single. "Alright!" she shouted. "Wait, you got his number too right?" Honestly, that thought didn't even cross my mind in that moment. "No..." i said, already expecting her reaction. Instead she looked at me kind of confused. "He's leaving for work probably anytime now." i said "He's probably got a woman or two waiting for him in that town already. I don't really wanna be one of many." Now, Melissa was one to joke, she liked to keep things light most of the time, but she also knew when to be serious. She knew this was one of those moments because she knew me better than anyone else and knew my guard was up. "'Rissa," she began "I know you're scared." I couldn't make eye contact because i felt like crying again and didn't want her to see. "There's nothing wrong with being scared either considering the clusterfuck of a relationship you're just getting out of. But this isn't a marriage proposal, just talk to the man, maybe go on a date. Everything doesn't have to be serious, it can be light and fun. Besides, you know you like him and you're seriously fighting the urge to admit it." She waited for my answer. I was scared. Men change. They're never as loyal or compassionate as i am. I always fall quickly and it's usually never returned. Going through all this again for nothing or just to end up in heartache again seemed pointless. "Of course i want to." I finally answered. "If i didn't i wouldn't be such a mess right now." She nodded. "I get it." She replied. "Life is about taking chances though." I just rolled my eyes. "Okay Melissa." I said. "I think I'm going to take a bubble bath." I grabbed a bottle of wine and headed for the bathtub.