Chapter 2: I've been a career (day) asshole

The weekend was fairly mundane. I spent the day I broke up with Michael drinking wine with my best friend and catching up on old times. We were high school best friends. We were also inseparable after high school. We moved in together, went to the same community college and started careers together. She is a hair stylist, and a damn good one. She had been doing my hair since high school, before she had any proper training and never messed me up. She wasn't much of one to settle down like I was. Settling down was all i knew how to do. Melissa, however, she liked to date around. She was always going out with a new guy, but she hardly ever brought any home that i saw. Melissa also wasn't a wine drinker like me, she preferred beer.

The next day i had a stack of papers to grade that i had almost forgotten about. This may or may not have come with more wine. Sunday, Melissa and i both went to her parents for dinner. That night after dinner i was almost ready to think about bed, but i remembered i was assigned the task of making name tags for career day, which was the next day at school. I had been given all the supplies i needed besides writing utensils. Melissa agreed to help me, over a beer of course. We were looking at the names and occupations list and talking shit about them. "Elizabeth Portay, accountant." Melissa read off the list, "She probably never gets laid." I shot her a look, "Really?" i asked her. "What?!" She exclaimed, "You know its probably true." I rolled my eyes and glanced down at the list. I had planned to make fun of whatever name i caught with my eye. I saw the words 'Music Producer' first and was immediately intrigued. I was amazed my little school would be able to pull anyone who was even slightly important. "Who you got?" Melissa asked, she seemed genuinely curious. "Marshall Mathers?" I replied, even his name sounded important. I went to bed that night with that name ringing in my ear. Needless to say I didn't forget it.

~~~~~

When i woke up the next morning and got ready for school i still had that name in my head. I took extra care when getting dressed and doing my makeup to make sure i looked extra nice. Finally: presentation time. The school did the presentation by grade level so my class and I were right in the middle of the day. I listened to all the usual presenters; a doctor, a lawyer, an accountant and a computer guy. Finally, it was Marshall's turn. I watched him attentively. He came up to the podium surprisingly casual compared to some of his peers. He even made me feel a little over dressed. He wore a black outfit, pants and a matching hoodie with a zipper. It had a white stripe running down either side. He also wore a plain white t shirt. The whole outfit made him feel extremely laid back. He introduced himself and i instantly loved his voice. He had some small examples of some of the equipment he worked with and began explaining to all the students what he did with each thing and a little on how it worked. I couldn't care less about beats or mixing, but when he talked i just couldn't look away. It was about this moment when i also realized along with his mellow, sensual sounding voice he had a pair of the most beautiful icy blue eyes i had ever laid mine upon. I was daydreaming about him when i realized he had suddenly stopped speaking. I refocused my attention in reality and realized he too noticed me. I stared into his eyes as he returned the stare and then it dawned on me we weren't the only two people in the room. I motioned him with my hand to keep speaking while mouthing the words "keep going" to him. He cleared his throat and continued talking about whatever he was talking about, at this point i didn't have the slightest idea what that was. I had a feeling we would be seeing each other again.

As the presentation ended I gathered up all my students and we headed back to my classroom. I performed a head count on my students and after i was finished another teacher in my grade approached me. "Who was the music producer?" she asked me, being extremely nosy. "Marshall Mathers, didn't you hear his introduction?" I answered, sarcastically. "Yes," she continued "but i think you two had a moment back there." I knew she was right and i was pretty sure everyone else noticed too. I had never felt such a connection with someone without speaking to them. Maybe this was because i had never went for a guy who was as attractive on the outside as Mr. Mathers was. "I'm sure that's not it at all." I replied, brushing her off. "I'm sure he just forgot what he was saying and i was the first person he saw." With that response, i turned and walked back into my classroom.

~~~~~

The day was finally over. I got my stuff together to head home for the day: more papers to grade. I regretted wearing the heels i had picked out this morning because they were beginning to hurt my feet and i had a fairly lengthy walk back to my car. I gathered up all my stuff and headed towards my classroom door. I locked up and began making my way to my car.

I made it out of the building and almost to my car, it was in sight. It was a pretty day, warm and breezy. My hair bounced and blew with the breeze as i walked. I got to my car, unlocked it, and was just about to put my bag in my trunk when i heard a familiar voice. "I was hoping I'd run into you before you left." the voice said. I turned and saw HIM standing there in all his beauty. I couldn't even form words. He was even more handsome up close, if that was possible, and he smelled amazing. A good smelling man was my weakness. "Yep, here i am." is all i could manage to say. How stupid was i?! He's gonna think I'm such a dork. "Yeah..." he continued. I'm sure i had a look of shock on my face. It isn't often i am physically attracted to a man who seems to feel the same about me. "Well, I'm Marshall and I'm sure I'm not the only one who realizes we had a moment back there earlier." I tried to manage something intelligible. "Yeah, we kind of did, didn't we?" Then he flashed the most gorgeous smile i have seen in ages. It was handsome, but it was warm and made me feel a little more comfortable. Then he said, "So, what are the chances of a beautiful woman like you being single?" My smile faded. Is he serious? This sounds a little rehearsed, like hes used the same line on multiple different women. Plus, i only JUST became single a few days ago. "The chances are high because i am single," i began, "but I'm not trying to date right now." The look on his face now said he didn't get rejected too often. I started to feel a little dumb for it myself. "Who said anything about dating?" he replied, "I just met you, i'm okay with getting to know you first. Unless you have some sort of objection to getting to know someone?" I pondered this for a minute. What was the harm in talking? I guess i could give him my number. Besides, i don't have to answer him every single time he calls or texts.

"Okay," i said cautiously. "If it makes you feel any better," he began, "I'm flying to LA in a little while for work, I'll be gone for two days." I shot him a look and said "Just give me your phone before i change my mind." He handed it over and i put my number in it. "There. Happy?" I said afterwards. He flashed that smile again and said "Yeah, very much..." he paused and waited for my name. "Marissa." I finished for him. "Okay, Marissa." He repeated. I loved the way it sounded too. "I'll be in touch." With that he turned and walked away. I finally loaded my bag into the car and pulled out of work parking lot. I couldn't wait to get home and tell Melissa.