15: Picture Perfect

How long can you love someone? Does fate assign each person a 'soulmate' that you're supposed to find? Or do you just fall in love with different people until you find one that will stick? Donna thought as she slipped into her white Carolina Herrera dress.

A few months ago, Donna was living on her own with Sophie in her villa in Kalokairi, Greece. Now, she's in New York with Sophie and her stepchildren wearing a designer dress and a wedding ring getting ready for a dinner with her husband. Months or maybe even weeks ago the mere thought of marriage would not cross her mind. The changes that has happened to her since the wedding was once such a far fetched idea, and even more so the idea of Sam coming back into her life would have been absurd.

However, she couldn't be more grateful. She was finally happy and contented; not the fake happy and contented she has convinced herself for years. No more pinning over the engaged man that she had danced on the beach with. Now, he was hers, and she was his. She was now Mrs. Sam Carmichael.

A smile unknowingly came out of her lips. She looked once again at herself through the full length mirror in the walk-in closet. She took a nice long look at herself. The dress fit perfectly. She had also worn the beige shoes that Olivia had suggested. Donna never looked this elegant. Her style was more casual and summery. She didn't hate what Olivia had chosen. She loved it actually. It was just very different. The sight in front of her was different than what she's used to.  She pinned her hair back, much like it was during Sophie's supposed wedding, and placed on some make up.

This was her life now. People may say that she might have changed, and she has. The outfit she had on and the place she was in was proof of how much she had changed. However, Donna was not at all bothered by it. She knew that it was just temporary. Soon enough, Sam, Sophie, Sky, Olivia, Ruby and herself would fly to Kalokairi. Even if she had grown to love the city lights, she would always go home.

Just as she sprayed the perfume on her neck, there was a knock on the door.
"Come in."
"Hey Donna? Are you almost ready?" James once again had his mysterious and playful grin.
Donna raised her eyebrow to try and threaten the boy. It didn't work. "I'm actually all done." Donna replied in defeat. She grabbed her handbag on top of the bed. "Let's go?"
"Not quite yet." James chuckled. "Guys were coming down!" He yelled.
Donna was now nervous. What were the kids up to?
James offered his arm to Donna as they walked down the stairs. She reluctantly accepted.

The first thing Donna saw left her breathless. The big family picture that used to hang on the center wall of the living room was gone. It had been replaced by a photo of the Villa.
"Oh my God!" Donna was shocked. It was beautiful. She had not been expecting it at all. As she got closer to the photo, she noticed that there were more pictures on top of the fireplace than yesterday. Just as she was about to ignore that fact, she saw the other surprise the kids had set up. There were now pictures of Sophie, Sam and Donna alongside the ones of Sam's kids. Pictures from Sam and Donna's wedding were also framed.
"What is all this?" She asked the crowd that had formed behind her.
"Again, welcome to the family Donna. You and Sophie are Carmichaels too now, and it's your right to have a spot on the family's bragging table." James joked.
"We really hope that you liked it." Olivia smiled.
"I do." Donna ran to the two kids then hugged them tightly. "Thank you." She said as she showered James and Olivia with kisses.

Sophie was almost in tears by the sight in front of her. Donna was happy. Sophie had always known that Donna's world revolved around her. When she was younger, the thought of sharing her amazing Dynamo to anyone would make Sophie furious instantly. That's why she was grateful for being an only child.  However, the sight in front of her had changed all of that. Sophie has only known Nate, James and Liv for about 2 days, yet she already feels protective and loving towards them. She was their big sister.

"Join us Soph. You're a part of this too now." James said as he stretched his arm to grab Sophie.
Sophie wrapped her arms around the trio. "I like being a Carmichael." She smiled.
"Wait! Hold that! This will be a good picture to add to that fireplace." Ruby yelled out as she whipped out her camera.

The little family slowly cleaned themselves up; then, smiled for the camera. "Perfect!" Ruby said as the flash went off.
"That's a great picture." Sky commented.
Sophie walked over to see the photo on Ruby's camera.
"You and Olivia have the same smile kiddo" Ruby told Sophie.
"Let me see!" Olivia, curious because of Ruby's statement, walked closer to see the photo. "She is right. I bet if I were blonde, we'd look even more similar." Olivia added.

"I can't wait till Dad sees this photo. He's going to love it. Too bad Nate isn't in it." James said.
"Where is Nate?" Donna asks.
"He's still in his room. Getting ready." Olivia quickly replied. She wanted to avoid Nate tonight.

Olivia wanted to keep the conversation between her and her eldest brother a secret for now. It wasn't her place to tell Donna, neither would it be Nate's. Sam had to be the one to tell Donna. However, that doesn't mean that she has forgiven her brother. Olivia knows that Sam would not jeopardize his new found relationship with Donna. He has loved her dearly for so long. No one was ever able to replace her. However, Olivia also knew who exactly who Miranda Priestly is. Miranda was wildly known for being determined. The ice queen always gets what she wants, and as of right now, she wanted Sam.

"Why don't I call Dad to see if he's already at the venue?" Olivia suggested.
"Good idea Liv!" James replied. "While you go and do that, I'll get the car ready. Sophie? Would it be okay if you go and call Nate?" He asked politely.
"Oh yeah sure." Sophie replied. She was already going volunteer herself to call Nate anyway. This was just a coincidence.

As the Sophie walked up the stairs, James had already lead Ruby, Donna and Sky outside front door and into the black SUV. Olivia was left alone in the living room to call her father.
"Hello Dad?" The young girl quickly said as soon as she heard something on the other line.
"Olivia?" Miranda replied. She was panting. Olivia could tell that she had been up to something.
"Mom?" Olivia was very confused. She knew that they would be together, but why would she have his phone?

Shit. This isn't my phone. Miranda realized. Her eyes grew wider and handed it to Sam. "It's yours." She whispered. "I accidentally thought it was mine."

"Hello Liv?" Sam's voice was low. Almost like he was trying to hard to act normal.
"Dad! Where are you?" Olivia wanted to get straight to the point.
Sam looked around. Roy had dropped them off at the park, as per their request, to talk about what the kiss had meant. "I'm close to where you want me to be." He wanted to be vague. There was no need to get his daughter to lie to Donna. Olivia's lack of knowledge for this particular situation can do them all some good.
"We will be on the way in a couple of minutes." Olivia stated. "See you soon dad." Her tone was now a little more serious.
Sam nodded as if like his daughter could see him.
"You will be there. Right dad?" Olivia asked.

Sam's face went pale. He looked over to Miranda whose hand was holding with his.

Would he be there?

"Dad?" Olivia repeated.
——————————
Hello! Here's another chapter for you! I hope you guys liked it.

As you all know, I can't drag the whole Donna-Sam-Miranda triangle thing for much longer. In the next chapter, Sam would have already made up his mind. Then maybe in 2 to 4 chapters after that would already be the wedding.

Do you think I should continue writing after the wedding? Or should I just end it there?

Also, who do you think Sam would end up with? I've already started on the next chapter, but it's still pretty interesting to know who you guys and gals think he'll pick.

Comments and suggestions on what I can do to make this story better and worth while are highly appreciated ❤️