22: Unfinished Business

Miranda was used to being alone. There were days wherein her children would be at their fathers, and she would be left alone in the townhouse. This was not something new to her, but that wasn't the case tonight. She felt lonely. Hours ago, she had her heart broken; both by Sam's decision to choose Donna and by Stephen's lack of resistance when she kicked him out.

As soon as Miranda ended the phone call with Daniel earlier, Nigel hastily tried to put away the liquor and pack his bags. He wanted to get out as quickly as he could. Miranda's tone said it all. There was unfinished business between her and Daniel, and as Miranda's best friend, he needed to make sure that she would be alright. Hence, Nigel scurried as fast as he possibly can. "I know it's not my place to say anything, but I care about you. You need to hear this." Nigel said just as he was on his way out. "Stephen is an idiot. He took advantage of you. He had always tried to bring you down because he couldn't accept that you are the brilliant woman that you are. Don't sulk over him. Please. You deserve so much more than what he had to offer. In addition to that, you have another reason for this terrible mood of yours. We both know that I can't say that Sam was an ass or anything along those lines because he wasn't. He was amazing, but so are you. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. No one is blame in that situation. It was just a case of bad timing. But darling, there are a lot more fish in the sea. Find one that's meant to be yours." Nigel extended his arms and hugged his best friend tightly. "For now, however, focus on kicking your ex' ass first with that good looking lawyer of yours."

And with that said he was gone.

Miranda spent the past 30 minutes staring at her ring finger. Sam's engagement ring had once been on this finger. Miranda smiled. Sam had left her with great memories. She couldn't think of one thing that she wanted to change about him or the time they had spent together. Stephen too once had his grand and flashy wedding ring on my finger. Not at all Miranda's taste, but she still wore it. Even if it was not obvious to him, Miranda did love him. She wanted to spend a lifetime with him. That's why she agreed to marry him in the first place. However, things change. He changed. He was no longer the Stephen that she fell in love with. Then images of a beautiful thin gold band with diamond studs flashed in her memory. Mathias' ring was the hardest one to forget. She didn't think about her first husband often. Mostly because of the bitter way that it ended. He had gone back to France for a few months when the twins were very young. It's no longer an issue between them because they've tried their best to be friends over the years for the twins. That didn't make it any easier though. It still stung. He had to go back to Paris for his career. He owned a chain of exclusive restaurants and nightclubs in Paris, London and New York. At that time, his main office was in Paris. Mostly because that's where he started everything. He wanted to go there so that he could move everything to New York. He said that he only needed three months. That's all he asked for. Within those three months, Mathias had fallen in love with his ex girlfriend. By the time he went back, he no longer loved Miranda as much. That's what caused her to be the cold hearted editor she is today.

Lastly, she imagined another thing that used to be on that finger. Daniel and I got matching tattoos. We had written down our initials, with our respective handwritings, and tattooed it on our ring fingers. We had intended it to be our promise ring. We wanted to have a reminder of our love and commitment that we would never take off. Of course she had that removed as soon as they broke up. Miranda didn't need a reminder of Daniel every single day.

The knock on the door was a little frightening. It echoed through the foyer. There was an uncomfortable silence flowing through the air. Miranda knew that he was coming, but nothing could have prepared her for this. She stood from her spot and walked towards the grand white doors. She knew that she had to do it now; for her girls. Miranda kept thinking that it was for the twins. She took a deep breath, and opened the door.