8

"Threatened to call the cops and they just ran away. The end." He explained in short and I figured that he was not the kind to talk a lot. "I'm Zeno Toler and this is my sister, Oriana" He introduced after a while of silence and I smiled at him. He smiled back and that was the first thing that I noticed about him. His smile was beautiful and genuine.

"Thanks for saving me. I'm Evelina Bamford, nice to meet you, Zeno and Oriana," I replied and smiled brightly at them. I guess my luck was not limited after all because if it was, I wouldn't be here in a safer place.

"Don't mention it, I would have killed him if he didn't save you, even though I'm 10 and have a small body, I still can beat his butt just because I'm his only sister," Oriana replied with an angelic smile yet it made me shudder from fear. She was very cute and had an enchanting smile but I flinched from her inner thoughts. I didn't want to know what was going inside so I didn't ask. I just smiled and thanked her. "Say, Evelina, did you always live here?" She asked me after she made me sit a while longer.

I looked at her, then at her brother only to see him staring at me. I saw his eyes and I thought that they were so pretty and bright yet dull at the same time. He gave me mixed emotions and it made me a little bit overawed by him so I focused back on his sister and her question. "No. I just moved here with my mom and we are living with my dad and twin brother now," I replied then started fiddling with my fingers. I thought of our old home and felt extremely sad. As I was trapped in my own head, an important question crossed my mind for the first time since that night, the night our house was burned down. How did the fire start? Was it really an accident?

I felt a tiny hand on my shoulder blade and I snapped out of it. "How are you liking it here?" Oriana asked in a tender tone. I gave her my brightest smile and stood up.

"I love it" I replied genuinely and then looked at the time. "It's getting late, I should head home now" I stated then walked to the door. Seconds later, I was stopped. I looked at my wrist and saw Zeno's hand wrapped around it. I looked into his eyes and waited for something to happen. "Yeah?" I was stunned by his sudden action but I didn't show it.

He let go of my hand almost immediately and rubbed the nape of his neck and avoided eye contact with me. His face was stiff. "Um ah no, I just thought it's not safe for you to walk alone. You might find another group of perverts, I'll walk you home." He cleaned in a monotonous tone and I felt that I didn't have the choice to choose here. I just nodded. "Lock the door, Oriana, I won't be late and do not open to anyone but me." He enjoined but it was a soft order. His love for her was obvious and I admired it. They reminded me of my brothers. 

"Sure and be safe!" She replied then hugged his legs and then pushed him out of the house. I chuckled at her action and Zeno gave me the -do not comment- look and I didn't. It was dainty and cute.

As we began walking, I debated with myself if I should ask him what was bugging me the moment they spoke or not but my curiosity surpassed my logic and I asked. "Um, are you Italian?" I then realized that I asked without any warning so I stopped in front of him and he looked into my eyes. "Sorry, that was rude! I meant to ask you that but in a politer tone, sorry." I apologized but deep down, I wanted him to answer my stupid question.

He gave me a small simper and I let out a long sigh. I was timid. "It was not rude at all, I would have asked the same question if you sounded Italian" He stated and I nodded. "And I'm half Italian, half American. My mom was from Italy, Rome." He answered then looked at the sky. His mom was from Italy which meant it was a touchy subject. I just my shut stupid mouth and we continued walking in silence. It was not awkward yet it was not comfortable.

A few minutes later, we arrived at my house. As we stepped foot in our garden, the front door was slammed open and I saw Andro run towards me. He hugged me tightly and I laughed. "What's wrong?" I asked and he let go of me.