14

It was Sunday morning and a month had passed since Nolan's return. I was helping Ruth in her shop as she once requested and I happily obliged. As I took the money from the last customer that was in the store, Zeno walked in. He became a good friend of our family, not a talkative one though, and Oriana was the big reason how. She and Elara hit it off as best friends and it proved that age didn't matter in friendship. Zeno looked around, left and right until his gaze was fixed in my direction. He seemed like he was looking for me and I got confused. "Good morning, Evelina." He greeted me with a calm expression on his face and I smiled at him.

"Good morning to you too, Zeno!" I replied in a cheerful tone and he finally smiled.

He scratched the nape of his neck and then he cleared his throat. "Can I ask for a favor?" He asked me and I nodded with the -keep going- look. "So, tomorrow is my dad's best friend's wedding and I need a date. Would you possibly escort me, tomorrow night, at the wedding?" He asked and I thought about it. I had nothing to do after school so I had no reason to decline.

"Yes, I'd love to. What should I wear?" I agreed and then I asked. Every family had their own traditions about dressing up and I had to respect it.

"Yeah... about that..." He trailed off and I frowned. We sat on the chairs near the cashier because it was easier than standing up. Ruth told us that she'd go to the connivance store to buy some stuff for herself and we told her not to worry about it and we'd be in charge if a customer came.

"Now, tell me what do you mean?" I asked and he looked me right into my eyes. Why was I feeling nervous?

"The groom's dad died yesterday night..." He began and I gasped. That was awful, I wanted to comment but waited for him to finish what he wanted to say. "His dad's will was for his only son to get married and not to stop it just because his old man passed away. It was too painful for his whole family to do the wedding tomorrow however, they couldn't overlook his dad's only and last wish. So, I want you to wear a back dress if possible. I hope I'm not asking for too much!" He explained and I gave him a sad smile. 

I closed my eyes for a moment and then opened them again. "I once read this quote on a wall in Virginia and I loved it because it touched me and altered my way of thinking. It said: And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure, in fact, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. I think this quote suited this complex situation and it really described life nowadays." I said with a painful expression on my face. The situation was indeed complex. Having a funeral and a wedding on the same day for the same family. It hurt.

Zeno nodded with a sighed. "I agree, life is all about the ups and downs and you can't predict what will happen if you close your eyes for just one second." He responded and I agreed.

~~~

"And that's why I will go with Zeno tomorrow after school. I need a black dress that is suitable for a funeral and a wedding at the same time. Mom, do you have one?" I asked her after I explained the situation to my parents. They felt sorry for the groom and agreed that I should go. Even if they said no, I wouldn't have listened to them because I already said yes to Zeno. Sorry mom, dad.

"I do, actually, I bought it last week. You could wear it, just let me go and grab it for you!" Mom exclaimed as she clapped her palms together and I thanked her as she rushed to her room. I looked at dad and saw him typing furiously on his laptop. I walked behind him to see what was he typing and it turned out to be an approval to go on a field trip real soon, for the seniors. I let him be and walked to my brothers' room. They shared one room since mom took the last available one.