From Online To Reality

Karkat's pov

"Hey"

"Ya Karrot?"

I looked over at the blond next to me and gave him a scowl.

Ever since he named the damn hamster Karkles he's been looking for a new nickname for me.

The expression however went without recognition since he answered without looking away from his phone. I looked back at the laptop that rested on my crisscrossed legs over the blanket to the red and white page covered in small black letters. I sat silently for a little the low hum of my laptop and Dave's small clicks on his phone the only noise until he looked up

"Is something wrong?"

His shades were resting on his nose from him trying to read the screen of his phone showing his red eyes that filled with worry. I brought my eyes back to the screen that lay in front of me and his eyes followed

"Colleges?"

"Do you think I could get into one for my second year? Like a real building one not and online one?"

He looked at me

"Do you think id be smart enough?"

His face dropped and he scooted closer to me on the couch

"Karkat"

"Do you think im smart enough?"

I flinched at the harshness of my own voice and slowly turned my head to see his face inches from mine.

"You"

He wrapped both hands around my cheeks and brought his forehead to mine causing our noses to be squished together

"are absolutely fucking brilliant. I bet you could get excepted now if they did that"

"Really?"

"Ya. Now come on tell where your looking at."

He took his hands off my face and wrapped one around my shoulder looking back at the screen.

As I began reading the list his face went to a slight frown

"These are all a state away?"

His statement came out as if a question. I looked at my lap and nodded my head.

"With my salary id need a few pretty big scholarship and these school have some of the biggest ones that arent completely unattainable."

He looked back at the screen then at me.

"Well lets take a look at those scholarships then and see what we can do"

"Your Going Back To College?"

"Technically ive been in college ive just did it online."

"Well That's Great Karkat. What Are You Going To Study?"

"I dont really know there so much fucking shit that doesnt even make sense its hard to find one that'd id be willing to sit through some geezers lectures five days a week."

"Well You Shouldnt Do It Because You Would Be Willing To Listen To Lectures From A Professor But More Because You Would Enjoy Doing It For The Rest Of Your Life. That Is Why Im Working For A Boutique And Going To A Fashion School At Night Until I Can Be A Fashion Designer Full Time. Have You Thought About Writing Again You Seemed To Enjoy It A Lot In High School."

"But that was high school and what are the chances of me ever getting published? Id be more likely to be able to shit a fucking snake out and raise it to be a criminal."