• نگاہ •

یہ جو ہلکا ہلکا سرور ہی،
یہ تیری نظر کا قصور ہے،
کی شراب پینا سکھا دیا

  ///////

The nights at the Shah Villa were quiet for Mirha and Minal. Both of  the sisters were too quiet suddenly, shocked due to the things they had to experience in such a short amount of time. Some nights they would cry, some nights they would lay down on each other's arms like they used to when they were kids.

They were nearly of the same age, the one year difference between them was not visible but still, Mirha tried to be the elder sister. She truly did but failed miserably. Most of the times, it was Minal who would support her and guide her, be her shield. Their mother always said that Mirha needed to learn from Minal, stop being so chicken- hearted. But since she had been so sheltered and loved always, she never felt the need to.

But now, she remembered every single one of her mother's advices.

In the vast lawns, the owls hooted and the moon loomed above the tall red brick building as the two sisters slept.

However, one of the sisters was staring out from the large window while she lay in the bed with her sister, unable to sleep. Restlessness and a tingling feeling across her foot kept her awake for the whole night.

                ////////////

In the vast pink sky, three black birds flew above the villa to welcome the day, only a couple of people in the house were awake.

Mirha stood in the terrace, staring at the red brick walls again. She had woken up for the Fajr prayer and now she was going to water the plants but the fresh air outside had mesmerised her. Mirha bent down to see a white flower that had just bloomed in one of the potted plants that lined the terrace, the heavy vines slithering across the building to other balconies when she heard a sound. A sound like a glass door was sliding. She looked up quickly, eyes clashing directly against his eyes.

Something was in the air, as the sudden wind blew, making the loosely held dupatta on her head fly away, rich brown strands of her hair suddenly floated into the air and the sun decided to come out right then, enveloping everything in a golden glow, all while Mirha was unblinkingly looking into his eyes red from sleep.

Shehryaar closed his eyes for a second, feeling like he was still in sleep because why was he seeing a hoor on earth? Opening his dark eyes again, he saw her again, unbelievingly he saw her again. Now fighting against the wind to cover her long threads of hair which were intwining among themselves, those glass- like eyes which looked translucent in the sun now bent down.

In a trance like feeling, Shehryaar slowly went back into his room without turning around, slowly not to disturb the nature and silently not to frighten the hoor.