Chapter 19

"Hyung! Don't go!"

Jungkook yelled, as he finally arrived at the front porch of Jimin's house, after having ran all the way from his house to here. There wasn't much distance between their houses — Jungkook's house was only eight houses away from Jimin's — but for an eight year old, it was a lot as Jungkook bent down and put his hands on his knees, looking totally out of breath.

As soon as Jungkook's mom had told him that Jimin was — after all — leaving today for his new school, his mind had went blank as he had jumped out of his seat with only one thought in his mind: he had to get to Jimin's house as fast as possible. He had even left his breakfast only half eaten and that was saying something because Jungkook never left anything on his plate.

Jungkook stood there, trying to catch his breath as he raised one hand to gesture Jimin to stop. The older, who stood in front of him, looked down at him with wide eyes full of concern and a hint of guilt.

"H-hyung, wh-why're you leaving? Koo thought you had changed your mind after our talk last night." Jungkook said between his pants as he looked up at Jimin, his eyes looking sad and accusing. Jimin felt another pang of guilt pierce through his heart as he braced himself to tell the younger the truth.

"You misunderstood Kook. I spent the last night at your house to make it up to you. I never said I wasn't leaving. I have to go. I'm sorry Koo." Jimin said, his voice soft as he placed his hand on Jungkook's cheek, stroking it gently. He'd really miss the feeling of the younger's chipmunk cheeks under his own chubby fingers.

"W-why do you even have to l-leave?" Jungkook asked, his eyes casted down, all the while knowing the answer to his own question.

Unlike Jungkook's parents, both of Jimin's parents had jobs and were usually out of town due to work. Due to their solid friendship with Jungkook's parents, they would always leave Jimin in their care, as they found that better than leaving their dear son to a nanny  — which, in turn, led to Jimin and Jungkook becoming really close since they were around each other 24/7.

After seven years of raising their son like this — or the lack of it — Jimin's parents had decided to send him out of town to a boarding school. When they had expressed their wishes to their son, Jimin had readily agreed to go. He knew that his parents felt apologetic about it and he understood their circumstances. He knew that even if they weren't with him all the time, they did love him a lot and Jimin loved his parents too. So, he had agreed to leave even though he was only nine — but, he knew he could handle himself since Jungkook's mom had taught him enough already.

The only factor which wasn't working out, was Jimin's friendship with Jungkook and his dependence on the older.

"You know why Jungkook. Hyung is old enough and honestly, I want to go. I want to experience a boarding school lifestyle." Jimin said and crouched down in front of the younger, his hands now resting on his shoulders.

"B-but what about me? Koo doesn't have any friends — except you." Jungkook complained, his fingers fiddling with his sleeves as he continued to look down, not wanting to see Jimin's face.

"And why is that?"

Honestly, even Jungkook didn't know the answer to that. Or, maybe he did — but he just didn't want to say it out loud.

For as long as he could remember, Jungkook had never gotten along with others, whether it be kids who were his age or adults. He, somehow, always pissed them off by being extremely blunt and honest about things. He was short tempered and sassy, and would get easily annoyed. At times, he could be disrespectful too and was known to be passive aggressive. He was at loggerheads with everyone in his grade and would get into fights every other day.