Chapter 26

Entering into the cozy little café, I quickly looked it over for June before spotting her at a small table off to the side.

I'd drawn on my previous experience with disguises and once again Brent's beanie and Brendon's glasses had been stolen for my purpose.

I quickly made my way over and sat down, fixing the hood of my zip-up so that it was over the beanie before I sat down.

She laughed a bit at my get-up, a weak, nervous sound. Then she gestured towards the empty chair across from her.

I sat down, sending her a small smile. "Hey," I greeted, feeling kind of awkward in her precence.

She managed a small smile back. "Hi," she returned, her hands fiddling with a napkin she seemed to be in the process of tearing to pieces. "So, uhm..."

"I'd like you to have it," I answered the question that I knew was on the top of her mind. "If you're still up for it, that is?"

She gave a sigh in relief. "Thank you. I really didn't want that abortion."

I smiled again. "Me neither."

At that moment a waitress came over, holding a pair of menus out for us.

I quickly took them from her and handed one to June. Opening it, I skimmed quickly and then settled on a simple coffee.

June, a moment later, chose a large piece of apple pie and a ginger ale. Big surprise. But somehow something like that, such a little thing, made the situation all the more real. She really WAS pregnant. I WAS going to be a parent in not too long. And finally those thoughts could make me happy rather than sad. Because I wasn't alone in it anymore. I wasn't going to be the only parent. Brendon would be a part of it as well.

We waited for the drinks and her pie in silence and when the things arrived, she dived right in, eating like a starved person.

I looked with wide eyes.

"Hey!" she replied with a slight laugh, looking up in between bites. "I'm eating for your kid as well, so just shove it, Ross."

I had to laugh at that before taking a small sip of my coffee, deciding to get down to business. "How are you doing on the financial front?" I asked, knowing very well that I was going to have to pitch in on some areas.

She shrugged a bit. "My insurance covers a bit of it," she informed. "But I'll have to find somewhere else to live until afterwards." She looked down a bit, apparently embarrassed that she was in trouble. "And I don't have a job."

I nodded slightly. "Everything your insurance doesn't take care of I'll pay, that's only fair," I decided. "As to somewhere to live..." Suddenly I was struck by an idea. "The whole band moved in together a week ago and Brendon still hasn't voided the contract for his old apartment. I don't think it would be a problem if you moved in there. And I'll pay the rent," I summarised, feeling kind of weirded out about the fact that she's probably end up sleeping in the bed where Brendon and I had had sex with each other for the first time. But then again, what she didn't know couldn't creep her out.

She smiled a bit. "Thanks a ton, Ryan."

I rolled my eyes. "I guess we should just be grateful that you weren't knocked up by some pennyless bum," I muttered.

She gave a small giggle. "Honestly I don't think that would've ever happened. I wasn't THAT drunk. Honestly, I don't think I'd even have talked to you if it wasn't for the fact that my cousin already had knocked my head full of ideas of who you were, how absolutely perfect you were in every area." She shook her head slightly, suddenly looking a bit sad. "If I'd been able to see the same things in you he apparently does, this whole thing might've ended up very differently."